Dillard's - Learning the good and bad side | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

"Learning the good and bad side"

Current Employee - Jewelry/Watch Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Jewelry/Watch Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. I have met the most amazing people here. I work with them daily that they are almost family. The customers that come back just for you. The starting pay rate.

Cons

The quota is what is going to get me fired. I have seen so many good people leave because they couldn't reach their quota. I am going to be one of them soon. You get pay cuts if you don't reach your daily goal and depending on how much you make, your quota is X times high. Some times it is so slow that there is nothing you could do to make your quota.

Advice to Management

Please give us a realistic quota. Give us stability, we work hard for you and at the end of the day, the quota kills us all.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. "Don't care about their people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL

I worked at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Higher than average pay for retail
    Flexible hours and not crazy hours during the holidays.
    Most of the customers are better than some other places.

Cons

They do not care about their associates. You can be a complete slacker as far as day to day care of the department and they don't care. As long as you have good sales. Even If you work your butt off day in and day out and take a department from shambles to "the best it's been in a VERY long time", it does not matter if business is slow and just not there. They WILL fire you. You win multiple sales contests? Doesn't matter. I mean obviously you are doing something right, but...it doesn't matter. They WILL fire you. Take a job here if you are desperate, but KEEP LOOKING for another job, because, if you don't, you will be fired.

Advice to Management

I think one of the Dillard's brothers needs to do the undercover boss thing. Or even simply think about the way you are doing business. Firing above average workers for having one bad sales period is absolutely ridiculous. Crazy, even. Treat your people like people. Don't forget those who keep you in those fancy suits and big houses. Stop treating people like trash.
    And to store management,, stop laying it on so thick in the beginning, like you actually care about the new hires. You don't. You are so desensitized it is not even funny.. There are so many things you need to be more honest and open about. I don't understand how it is ok with you to work in a place that treats its people like that. People would be a lot happier if they weren't always in fear of their livelihood. You give some people advantages that others are not given. I am disgusted when I consider what I did in the time I was there and how I was out without hesitation or even the hint of human emotion.

2. "Not good, not bad, just neutral"

Pros

Money
    Tips
    Incentives on selling certain items

Cons

Scheduling
    Special Treatment of certain employees