Dillard's - lot of stress | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"lot of stress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the employee discount.

Cons

when you don't meet a sales goal in a month it get transfer to the next month, so you have to work harder in the next month to make up for the lost of sale from last month plus the sales from the current month. you got 3 month otherwise fired!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ogden, UT

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity to meet and network with other employees. Employee discount. With a personable and skilled ASM and coworkers, this can be a fun job.

Cons

SPH pay cut and increases. Management and ASMs treating employees as if they are disposable and inferior. No culture of working together. Does not support or believe in work-life balance. Technologically deficient. Even while held accountable to only the almighty SPH, associates are expected to clean dressing rooms, keep nice looking displays, organized areas and complete a large number of markdowns. Not everyone you work with will do any of this. While I worked there, someone known as a sales shark would frequently never clean or organize and then at the end of the night, the Operation Manager or store manager would get on the intercom and instruct everyone to proceed to Juniors Denim for 'cleanup'. Needless to say, I didn't do it, since I knew it wouldn't be on my review (just the SPH) and just left every time that happened.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you want to be treated.

2. "Unethical and does not communicate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% discount but it only gets the associate into debt that they can't repay without doing monthly payments which negates the discount after the interest is added.

Cons

They change the policies all the time but they do not update their work rules before or communicate the changes to the affected Associates. They change schedules after the monthly schedules are published and do not tell the associate so that they incur and exception. If an employee calls the toll free number posted for fraud, the store manager gets angry and tries to get other employees to tell on the one who made the call. Culture is survival of the fittest so there is absolutely no team work. Associates get into loud arguments in front of customers over sales since each associate has to make their SPH. This is embarrassing for the customer. Dillard's Management is aware but does nothing to change it.

As for the SPH, if management likes you, they find a way to save you, if not, they will set you up to fail. It is the most unethical company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

You need to put in place a real Human Resources Department to manage the employment issues that are going to eventually take your company down.