Dillard's - Sales Specialist, Better Sportswear | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

"Sales Specialist, Better Sportswear"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential. Weekly payroll. Professional atmosphere. Great merchandise. Good employee discounts. Generous spiffs and gratis. Wonderful clients/guests. Knowing that we are working for a "Better" Department Store with exceptional merchandise and sales associates.

Cons

Quota system creates a negative and combative work environment. Do not promise something and not deliver. We need to hear when we've done something wrong, but don't forget to tell us when we do something right.

Advice to Management

SHOW the associates how to use the tools provided to succeed. Proper training is essential to productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. "Bullied"

Former Employee - Selling Business Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Selling Business Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent money. Easy to move up if you care.

Cons

Bullies, bullies, bullies, bullies, bullies

Advice to Management

Get rid of bullies on the floor. Especially in ESTEE LAUDER!

"As soon as I can, I am getting out of here ..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional, neat atmosphere; overall, the co-workers are kind, affirming and considerate; ability to move up if you know the right people

Cons

Management is not properly trained. While some managers are super-professional and helpful, some are outright rude to their customers and employees. These same managers deny vacation/time off requests for their employees when possible, even when the time off requests are for weddings/ funerals/long anticipated trips. There is minimal training for new and even long-term employees. Standard expectations for SPH, Dillard's credit apps are unreasonable, causing many employees to be nervous about their jobs. Some co-workers are so scared about losing their numbers that they will make rules up as they go - and sometimes outright break the rules - in order to make their sales. Compensation only goes halfway - you have to pay for the rest. (I still owe money for an appointment I had two months ago). In order to get the employee discount, you need to be approved for the Dillard's Credit Card.

Advice to Management

Store managers, please train your senior managers and department managers to be courteous and considerate to their customers and employees, concerning their needs and outside life. Don't just hand down tardies if you know the reason an employee is running late or leaving early is due to terrible weather or a death in the family. Just because a rule is a rule doesn't mean you have to deny empathy to the consumer or employee. Please also visit consistently with your staff to see how things are going. Don't just talk over the intercom or send out e-mails. This implies you are disinterested in speaking personally to your teammates. Instead, please meet with the staff to discuss the news and address issues. More team meetings, the better! Also consider giving more reasonable standard expectations, such as adjusted SPHs during off-season hours. And please, do not make credit card apps a required "number." Please make "apps" something more of an incentive than an indicator of job performance.