Dillard's - Working as a sales associate at Dillards | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

"Working as a sales associate at Dillards"

Former Employee - Mens Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
Former Employee - Mens Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending upon your asm, you are usually rewarded for your efforts in sales and getting credit accounts applied for. My asm was a prince among men, so I was always richly rewarded for my efforts and attendance too. It takes that salesperson mentality of course
and you have to be very serious about getting the sale. The pay is good, if you keep your sales up. It is supposed to be a "team" effort, but the competition makes that nearly impossible most of the time. I enjoyed my stay there and if it were not for a job offer I simply could not refuse, I would still be there. It was difficult for me to leave.

Cons

Unfortunately it does pit you against your fellow associates for sales and can get ugly at times, if you let it. That is probably the worst thing about it. Not very good for making friends and such. Sales per hour is what it is all about, along with showing up for work everyday.

Advice to Management

Perhaps find some way of actually getting people to work as a team without losing your sales and such.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. "Nice place tnico visit"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked my fellow employees and some of the dept. supervisors...they have a hard job. and discount was good

Cons

company sucks from their stupid goal a raise system that basically makes associates fight for I hate everything else about this company and I hope they go under, especially their stuffed shirt upper management that think because they make more money and have your lively hood in their hands think they are better than us, not to mention ass kissers to corporate.

Advice to Management

You are subhuman mentally...try to at least act as if you have some compassion.

"Great pay, burns you out."

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is the best out of any other retailer. The work environment can be relaxed. Not micromanaged by managers.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement unless you suck up to managers. Because the company isn't hiring full- time employees anymore, for every one associate that quits, two are hired. The hiring managers (Operations) doesn't care about the quality of the sales people just the quantity. No training for new hires ( associates or management) which also makes me question why it is so difficult to be promoted. Also, if you don't meet your SPH quota you can and will get a pay cut. Worst part of the job.

Advice to Management

Learn to promote your hard workers so they can recruit and train more sales people like them. Especially pacesetters. And get rid of the threat of a pay cut! Your employees will value their job more!