Direct Energy - Cost avoidance at the expense of good resource planning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Direct Energy

"Cost avoidance at the expense of good resource planning"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company with growing pains to become a large player in the energy business still has that small business feel. Some of the best people I've the pleasure working with.

Cons

Not the right culture or fit for me. This is a company on aggressive growth path through company acquisition which should be a great opportunity ride but unfortunately the integration and transformation of the previous acquired companies were never completed. This means Direct Energy is simply a aggregation of small companies with a 'do what you can' to continue business as usual without transformation.

Extreme head count focus. 'On Demand' resource request the norm - not the exception. Resource requests for the most part are on a as needed basis rather than planned. Trying to create a good balance between work and home can be difficult.

Leadership structure. Each business group has their own CIO who reports to a group CIO which is confusing and difficult to move ahead with initiatives that span organizations - like most large corporations utilize.

Lack of project coordination across organizations.

Overall, this general disorganization are all counter to a successful work environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Direct Energy

1. "They do a lot for their employees."

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had proper training to get you on board.
    They host events often to make employees happy.

Cons

Acquisitions can cause issues. The last major acquisition caused people to relocate to Pittsburgh or look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Direct Energy Corporate - Houston, TX"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get a paycheck bi-weekly and health benefits, 3% match on 401K

Cons

No recognition of contributions or overtime worked. FLSA is ignored for several groups, I would expect a suit to be levied against the company because some groups should be non-exempt and are treated as exempt and work a LOT of overtime. Environment in corporate is chaotic, a LOT of turnover, no real retition of talent in place. So, just about the time you have things moving towards a solution, a key employee will quit. I have seen minimal promotion from within the company.

Advice to Management

Evaluate jobs against the FLSA standards to prevent a future lawsuit for employees who should be classified as non-exempt! Promote from within the company.