Discovery Communications - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Senior Editor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place is great to work at, the people, the culture, the benefits. In my time woking at Discovery, I have been provided with the training and tools to allow me to grow, as well as the motivation in yearly bonuses to stay committed to do better every year.

Cons

You're never 100% happy with any job, but if I have to say that there's one thing I don't like about this company, it would have nothing to do with my job; I would like to get back the smart Discovery programming we used to have, and stop catering to the hillbilly audience. Again, that's just my own opinion.

Advice to Management

Watch Cosmos. Discovery should have done that, not NATGEO.

Other Employee Reviews for Discovery Communications

"Great place to work for low-end salary"

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Number one media company in the world. Work with the most creative people in the business. Company has outstanding benefits and great work environment. Always something fun going on. Great resume booster and where you work will always be a dinner party conversation topic.

Cons

So many people want to work there and are willing to undercut on salary that the pay is significantly lower relative to what you can make at a less prestigious company. Pay isn't everything and it's a great place to work. Just don't expect to be jumping into a basement full of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales.

2. "If only..."

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discovery has great brands, most of which you can be proud to represent! The company is truly global, and there is a lot going on...everywhere. Benefits are strong, and the corporate culture is almost great.

Cons

The company is almost great. Unfortunately, the gap between good and great doesn't seem to ever close. The emphasis on making it great for the employees will likely never be there as long as the financial results remain strong and people stay put. If it ain't broke...

Advice to Management

Consider sharing the successes of the company with those who deliver the success. If not with money, with more complete programs that are actually supported by all levels.