Disney Consumer Products - Past it's prime | Glassdoor

"Past it's prime"

Pros

- Exposure to the some of the world's most beloved characters
- Collaborations with the entertainment industry's best and brightest
- Global markets and trends
- the people!

Cons

- Too much downsizing. Layoffs have become common
- Not much room for movement
- Marvel

Advice to Management

Management is fine. The real problem is at the top of DCP.

Other Employee Reviews for Disney Consumer Products

1. "DCP was a great learning experience, but the overall apathy and clique-ishness towards freelancers were a turn-off."

Former Contractor - Central Creative - Designer in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - Central Creative - Designer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in learning the convoluted political inner-workings of a global mega-brand - this is where to find it! It was fascinating to learn about the constant clashes between the lines of business and studio. DCP requires high-level problem solving skills and solid soft skills.

Cons

Longterm cast members have a jaundiced eye towards any newcomers or freelancers. Be prepared to be silo'd off or excluded at first...

Advice to Management

Management should take credit for hiring the right person instead of trying to hog ALL the accolades for themselves. Giving credit where credit is due inspires loyalty and continued work excellence amongst your charges.

2. "Worst culture I've ever worked in"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Um.... the drive wasn't too bad. Wait, actually the drive sucked too.

Cons

Man years ago, between IT jobs, I worked for 2 weeks in the cels division of the "mouse". I was called in to fix a spreadsheet botched by one of the managers - a blatant affirmative action hire that corporate had obviously stuffed into a harmless corner of the company.

This idiot had entered serial numbers with leading zeroes as having the letter "O" instead. Naturally this wreaked havoc with sorting and every other data feature. He'd done this THOUSANDS OF TIMES, and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I came in as an expert to fix it. I needed some online documentation for excel in order to do so. I went on their LAN (this is pre-internet) and found it. The fact that I'd gone and done this became some huge problem, and I got shown the door.

The whole time there I worked in this windowless bungalow with horrible air where everyone was sick all the time. I was very happy to leave (I shortly picked up a real programming job).

Advice to Management

Keep extending those copyright laws.