Disney Parks & Resorts - Fun Place to work. | Glassdoor

"Fun Place to work."

Former Employee - Qsr Cashier in Anaheim, CA
Former Employee - Qsr Cashier in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Quick Service Restaurants. The pay was great, my managers caring, great experience with everyone I worked with, got to meet new people every week. Most of the guest were great.

Cons

The only con i can think of is sometimes a guest can be pretty rude. Most are pretty nice, but every once in awhile you get one you can't handle, or maybe you can. I recommend that you can handle that.

Other Employee Reviews for Disney Parks & Resorts

"Great People and Culture, Lousy HR"

Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

First of all I love Disney. For the most part, people are conscientiously striving to improve guest experiences. The Four Keys of Safety, Courtesy, Efficiency and Show are embraced and acted upon daily. For the most part, employers at Disney are collaborative, engaged and make magic happen daily. There's also an ability to take a TA or temporary assignment in different areas. So, say you work in Food & Beverage, if you're interested in say Park Operations, you can apply to a TA position in that area. Then later, you might decide to explore Entertainment. There's always a lot of movement within the organization and internationally. There's nothing quite like watching a family have an amazing and fun day.

Cons

HR or Casting has become a dictatorship. It's almost impossible to get a position in your field if you're coming in from the outside. I've heard stories of people who were VP's in other industries approaching Disney and being offered low-paying 3rd shift positions. Apparently, Disney's approach to staffing is akin to saying to an experienced software engineer. "Sorry, there's no openings in IT but we can put you to work at minimum wage selling hot dogs!" The only way to get a promotion or salary increase is to leave for another position, then when management realizes they need you, they'll bring you back at a higher salary. I estimate over half of the 55,000 people in Orlando are contractors, temps or outsourced. People are frequently promoted to positions they're not remotely qualified for but since they knew someone in the department, they get the role. The salaries are way below market. In 2009, Disney laid off some 5,000 people. They way they handled this layoff was to call people into HR and march them out with a guard through the public areas. It was stressful and embarassing for both the laid-off workers and the ones left behind. My impression and that of others was that they primarily laid off older workers with enough 18-year olds thrown in to skew the age average. Disney's very clever that way, understanding the limit to which they can push the laws using contractors and firing older workers.

Advice to Management

Convert your contractors to full-time. Your employees don't trust you and know you only care about your bonuses.

"Great internship for those wishing to attend veterinary school."

Current Intern - Veterinary Hospital Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Intern - Veterinary Hospital Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hands on experience working with a variety of animals in a veterinary hospital. Gained lots of medical knowledge as well as learning how to care for a variety of native FL wildlife.
    Animal Health Team is a very friendly and helpful group of people that are always willing to answer questions and provide many learning opportunities.
    Great castmember benefits, especially during the holidays.

Cons

Hard to take a day off/switch shifts for this internship since you are working in a hospital and have patients to care for each day.