Dolby - I work with brilliant people! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dolby

"I work with brilliant people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. The company/groups are small enough where the work you do REALLY matters. I get to make an impact on the projects I work on and have access to projects that might outside of my job scope. I'm encouraged to push the boundaries.

Currently we are working in 3 buildings in San Francisco ... makes face time hard with some groups (looking forward to the move at the end of 2014 to our new building).

The marketing department was a mess for a very long time, but it really appears they are making HUGE strides in the right direction with the recent hire of the new CMO Bob Borchers. I'm experiencing a more friendly and effective group than I had in the first 4 years of working here.

Dolby is also making a very conscious effort to get us involved in the local community with volunteer opportunities.

Competitive benefits. The 9/80 schedule is the best!

Cons

Slow to make decisions. Tends to be an introverted company (expected when working with engineers and scientist??)

Other Employee Reviews for Dolby

"Fun at times but bad execs, constantly changing priorities and politics are ruining this industry-icon"

I worked at Dolby full-time

Pros

9/80 schedule, brilliant co-workers, culture of excellence, and annual IdeaQuest design contest are really outstanding.

Cons

Politics, shifting priorities and constant re-orgs make it a risky place for career and skill development.
    Influx of bad execs eroding the culture.
    Poor stock compensation for engineers.
    Bad place to develop new skills as the company is pretty old-school.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring executives who nearly ruined other companies. Address the issues with Marketing Also kick some stock or options over to the engineers.

"outstanding technology base"

Pros

With the exception of every other Friday off benefits offered are typical for a mid cap company.

Leadership takes a long-term growth approach in many of the company's endeavors.

Cons

Workplace can be a bit stuffy at times.

Not really geared for the socially inclined tech crowd.

Wealth concentrated within top share holders. Distribution of profit sharing and equity awards can be hit and miss.

Proclaimed entrepreneurs within but by the very definition of entrepreneur one would expect more movement within or outside the company in search of greater opportunity. Often once a suitable position is acquired said entrepreneur/middle manager/director digs in for the long haul, making it a tricky proposition to self-promote.

Low-key Marketing strategy questionable.

Advice to Management

Could make better use of the brand. A little more mainstream advertising activity on the part of Sales & Marketing educating the benefits of using the technology may go a long way in gaining greater technology/brand recognition.