Dollar General - Don't do it. | Glassdoor

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL
Former Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were alright, although really only saw them during shift change. Hours were fairly regular.

Cons

You are always overworked. There was only ever two employees in my store, a cashier and the manager who was normally out of sight. The cashier would be in charge of running the register, stocking the shelves and cleaning the part of the store in view from the register (which was 4/5 of the store), and cleaning the parking lot and break room. You were never allowed to stand still, even if the store was empty and spotless. The register also required a manager's key for practically everything aside from swiping items and hitting the total. If you accidentally rung up something twice, find a manager. If the manager happens to be on a bank run or lunch when a customer decides they no longer want an item, you are locked out of the system until the manager comes back. Very poor management.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"good for experience"

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Conemaugh, PA
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Conemaugh, PA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good for a first job, to gain experience thats about it.
    easy registers.
    chill at times.
    made a couple new friends.
    buy things on the clock.

Cons

district manager.
    horrible pay.
    5 dollar off days.
    no help from managers.
    only 2 people working at a time.
    kids constantly coming in and cant get anything done and theyre stealing and we cant prove it cause none of the cameras work.
    the AC doesn't work half the time.
    old people coming in asking you the same thing everyday and if you say you dont know where its at since it moved they get mad.

Advice to Management

get a better district manager, and let only 1 kid in at a time.

2. "ok"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Moline, IL

Pros

The insurance is good for fulltime employees.

Cons

They give you budgeted hours to use for your scheduling which I understand, but when they have numerous projects they want done in one weeks time it's very difficult to do when you have to work by yourself for 4-5 hours a day to stay in budget. I feel that they make the stress level way to high on managers. I can see why they don't keep managers for long periods of time. You get burned out on the job. They keep adding more and more tasks that they want done daily and weekly, but they don't want to give you hours to help make sure you can complete them. When your short handed your expected to just figure it out. I've worked 60-70 hrs over the last few weeks because of being short handed. I feel they don't pay managers enough to deal with all of this. I recently found out that Dollar Tree starts their managers out at $34000 a year. I find it difficult to have any kind of family life outside of work. Even on my day off I still have to deal with things at the store.

Advice to Management

If you want projects done in a timely manner then give us the hours to make sure we can complete them without having to work ourselves to the death to do it. If you want managers to stay then give them the support and tools they need to do their job properly. I think at one time Dollar General was more family oriented, but now it's about the money they can make. What happened to those kind of values? Is the almighty dollar more important than your employees?