Dollar General - Hopefully my former store has improved | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Hopefully my former store has improved"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Campobello, SC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Campobello, SC

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay by either direct deposit or a money card (debit card) and encourage you to check after them if hours and pay aren't adding up. You definitely get a handle on mutli-tasking and the most efficient ways to stock shelves & clean the store. Training videos teach you how to do just about everything in their preferred way. There is rarely a dull moment.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate. I was just a summer employee before I went off to college, but by the time I got back for Christmas break, only one of my former co-workers was still employed in the store. Often I didn't know my schedule for the next week until the night before. It seemed that we ran on a skeleton crew and I was always needed in two or places at once. I hope it has gotten better!

Advice to Management

Take great care in hiring managers who are tactful with customers and employees, can make wise decisions about hiring employees to avoid having to fire or force resignation, and who are timely in posting the work schedule.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Don't be a Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, LA

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay if you don't count the hours worked.

Cons

70 hours, 6 & 7 days per week. Managers are paid a salary and there are managers that barely make or don't make min wage. Upped the basket count (average sale per customer) from $6.15 per basket to $8.00 in five months and my DM said I didn't get it. They are always looking to terminate a store manager and recruit your staff to spy on you.

Advice to Management

Support you Store Managers and budget enough hours to get the job done.

"Too much work, not enough time to do it"

Current Employee - Associate in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Associate in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-My manager is absolutely wonderful. Sweet, understanding, helpful, and knowledgeable about how Dollar General works.
    -If I wasn't always under so much pressure, the actual job itself would be pretty fun, actually.
    -Easy to move up. I was offered a lead cashier position within 3 months.
    -This must vary from store to store, but I've found hours are very reasonable.

Cons

-A multitude of tasks are thrown at you daily, and there are usually only two employees per shift to do them, in addition to cashiering. Often given jobs that require you to leave your post to do, then regularly stop what you're doing to check the front and see if anyone needs checked out. There's a reason most retail establishments have bells at the front to ring if customers need help!
    -They often send us boxes of product when we always have shelves full of it. You cannot only put out one or two items at a time, so if you can't put an entire box worth of items out, you have to leave them all in and pile them up in the back...then corporate gets mad at your manager for having a full back room! How can they be so out of touch with our needs?
    -Stockers are require to empty one rolltainer worth of goods per hour. Half the time there is a display on the rolltainer that must be built, or you have to move product around to accommodate special items...tasks that can easily take up 10-20 minutes or longer! Still, one rolltainer emptied per hour, no exception.
    -No employee discounts! C'mon, even WAL-MART, widely considered one of the worst places to work in America, gives their employees discounts.
    -Oh, and did I mention that as of last week, employees can no longer void items? Now only managers can do so, so if they're gone to the bank or out to lunch, the employees are helpless to void an item, thus immobilizing the ENTIRE STORE.

Advice to Management

Come down to a local store and work a day in the average employee's shoes. Look and see just how much work you're piling on us and how little help you offer to get the work done in a reasonable timeframe. WE NEED HELP.