Dollar General - Great place to build a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Great place to build a career"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of promotion from within, if you want to grab opportunities there is always lots of work to be done and the chance to learn from other groups and departments to work your way up in the company.

Cons

There was a lot of upper management turnover while I was there, led to inconsistencies and discomfort amongst employees about job security.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck, cool people i you life your neighborhood.

Cons

Training is nonexistent yet you will be held accountable. They try to work you to death I worked plenty 4am-10pm shifts with no breaks. Heavy turnover from sales associates to district managers. DM's think that shrink can only be associated with employees. DMs do not have your back

Advice to Management

be consistent in plans, give proper feedback to new store managers

"Corporate Vampires"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dollar General promotes from within and offers extensive training for managers. There is always a ready supply of new employees.

Cons

Dollar General cares little for its store level employees. During my tenor as a store manager I received numerous death threats from customers. District Managers, Regional Managers both cover up all of these incidents. The stores are set up for easy theft. I would not recommend working at any level for Dollar General in any metropolis. The only way a Store Manager will ever get any kind of bonus to compensate the immense workload is if the Store Manager is lucky enough to manage a small town or county store. Dollar General only cares about getting as much money from the customer as possible, be it government food stamps or government assistant money. Dollar General puts its stores in the worst neighborhoods in the cities, and expect the employees to stop shoplifters and maintain a model store at all times.

Advice to Management

Do your time at Dollar General, use the training they provide to build for a better future job. Then as quickly as you can find another company, leave.