Dollar General - Great place to build a career | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Great place to build a career"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of promotion from within, if you want to grab opportunities there is always lots of work to be done and the chance to learn from other groups and departments to work your way up in the company.

Cons

There was a lot of upper management turnover while I was there, led to inconsistencies and discomfort amongst employees about job security.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Corporate Vampires"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dollar General promotes from within and offers extensive training for managers. There is always a ready supply of new employees.

Cons

Dollar General cares little for its store level employees. During my tenor as a store manager I received numerous death threats from customers. District Managers, Regional Managers both cover up all of these incidents. The stores are set up for easy theft. I would not recommend working at any level for Dollar General in any metropolis. The only way a Store Manager will ever get any kind of bonus to compensate the immense workload is if the Store Manager is lucky enough to manage a small town or county store. Dollar General only cares about getting as much money from the customer as possible, be it government food stamps or government assistant money. Dollar General puts its stores in the worst neighborhoods in the cities, and expect the employees to stop shoplifters and maintain a model store at all times.

Advice to Management

Do your time at Dollar General, use the training they provide to build for a better future job. Then as quickly as you can find another company, leave.

2. "depends on who your leader really is."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lauderdale Lakes, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lauderdale Lakes, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dollar General was a good company to work for when you have a set of upper management that actually care about you and your advancement within their company

Cons

it's a very intense job and store managers are required to pick up anything black that may come up in there store.

Advice to Management

my advice to upper management at Dollar General would be listen to your store managers and understand where they come from.