Dollar General - depends on who your leader really is. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"depends on who your leader really is."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lauderdale Lakes, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Lauderdale Lakes, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dollar General was a good company to work for when you have a set of upper management that actually care about you and your advancement within their company

Cons

it's a very intense job and store managers are required to pick up anything black that may come up in there store.

Advice to Management

my advice to upper management at Dollar General would be listen to your store managers and understand where they come from.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Full of idiots"

Former Employee - Store Clerk in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the managers and other employees will make you feel like a genius

Cons

the managers and other employees are very lazy and do some of the most non sense idiotic things...

Advice to Management

Stop being sooo careless and really get to know who you hire

"hard work does not pay off"

Former Employee - Manager in Paris, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Paris, IL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can pay your bills, help your child get to college

Cons

Different rules for different stores - never straight across the board. What one manger gets wrote up for another manager doesn't. New DM every year or two, and everyone of them are gonna "change the world". It's pathetic to be wrote up for a cobweb on the ceiling calling it " paying attention to detail" while the DG up the road - you can't even get in to their stock room because it's so full and they don't get wrote up! You can't buy a home or newer vehicle because you don't if you're gonna have a job from one day to the next. I gave 6 1/2 yrs of my life to DG, I needed my job. I turned to the DM with serious problems he just denied them and said don't worry about things. I put my trust and lively hood into this company and now - - I lost my $4,000. bonus from inventory, I lost $4,000. taking my 401k out early to survive on and help with my sons college.. I have a recording of another manager warning me of what was going to happen, I have a video of another manager taking lots of stuff out of my store to his and DM wouldn't do anything about it and I was fired for recovery.

Advice to Management

Forget the district manager position - they all play favorites!!!!!!!! Why do you let them play with peoples futures?????? Being fired for "recovery" and being put in the DG system as non re hirable? Give me a break. No wonder the economy is the way it is, and bankruptcy - when so many people rely on their jobs BUT have DM's who play GOD with our lively hood. Why spend so much money sending the DM's to Texas and plane ticket expenses to fancy meetings? Give back to the ones who make this all possible - the real workers! Spend that extra money on payroll!!