Dollar General - Not a career; just a way to barely make it | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Not a career; just a way to barely make it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good starting point in retail. Allows one to gain multi-dimensional experience in retail environment (cashiers are expected to stock and recover during shifts and solely stock and fixture in other, etc..). Gives one a basic foundation in a grocery retail environment.

Cons

Vast environmental inconsistencies: Store traffic, customer base, employee demographic, management styles, store efficiency, staff rules and training.
Lack of register autonomy: Cashiers have to have a supervisor (key holder) void out items which happens quite frequently because corporate seldomly gives resources for managers to post actual price match. Corporate charges higher amounts on register than what is posted on shelf. Inventory and stock inconsistency and disarray which results in hazardous and inefficient store and stock room conditions. Corporate offers little, if any, financial support to its store, meaning practically everything comes out of a store's overhead which is the same place employees hours come from. This leads to understaffing which results in shrinkage, slow product placement, and ultimately customer dissatisfaction.

In particular, my store's helium "machine" has been without a nozzle for about 5 months with no resolution in sight. We can't sell the balloons, which can be hot sellers during certain holidays, However, the recent malfunctions of our money counter present more serious implications and difficulties (closers get out much later which isn't usually accounted for in scheduling). Scheduling has also been somewhat inconsistent for me, but is much worse for my co-workers. When our manager finally hired an AM and an additional key holder, it resulted in hour cuts for PT associates because management positions are FT and higher pay (which comes from our overhead). Working conditions can be adversely affected by limited overhead (like lack of necessary hygienic amenities in the restroom, break room, and store as a whole to working in unhealthy conditions due to a broken AC or heating unit),

For a $10 billion dollar revenue from a company which seems to be trying to keep the general store concept alive, it shows little appreciation for its PT associates by not even offering any sort of employee discount, or any service member/senior discount for that matter, or basic benefits. Cashiers can be penalized by the number of voids they make on their registers (due to their pricing inconsistencies). Corporate's pressures on management ultimately reflects on us, the bottom of the totem pole, who represent the greatest number of their employees who also interact the most with their products as well as customers.

Advice to Management

Refer to the cons. Help local stores with overhead. Offer some sort of in-store employee discount if we can't get a decent/livable hourly wage. I know we're unskilled labor to you, but a little appreciation shown towards your associates can only make them better represent the DG brand. When employees don't feel remotely appreciated or even respected by you it's going to reflect in your stores. Customer loyalty is a significant proportion of DG's business and many of us develop close relationships with our local patrons who could find similar or lower prices somewhere else. As a customer, why would I want to go to a haphazard retail establishment when there is a similar company across the street with the same "deals," especially when I have to wait an extra 10 minutes waiting to have an item voided off my order because the price didn't match? I've never encountered this sort of inconvenience at any other retailer.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Dollar General is a very solid, honest company with pay and benifits comparable to other small box competitors."

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, benifits comparable to or better than the competition, strong commitment to internal promotion, continual growth and opportunities, good people.

Cons

As with other dollar chain and small box chains pay rates are somewhat low compared to big box retailers. At times company is growing or rollling out new programs and same store expansion projects at too fast a pace.

Advice to Management

With all of the projects, expansions, and changes over the last 6 months to a year our stores and field leadership need a month or two to help us get refocused on driving sales.

"Very hostile work environment- both physically and psychologically"

Current Employee - Third Key in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Third Key in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are desperate for money and have NO OTHER choices

Cons

Misled during interview- they told me what I wanted to hear to get me in the door. Manager and Assistant NEVER close the store. ALWAYS left to 3rd key to do. Management never works past 12pm on the weekend. Retaliatory environment, ask a question about lack of training to HR , next week hours cut to 20 and under very hostile and unfriendly. Really do not live the core Dollar General values they post on the wall in the break room, Pay is poor for what a 3rd key is expected to do. Ten cents an hour more than a regular cashier.

Advice to Management

When an associate calls the District HR to discuss concerns, the HR is supposed to follow up. Not take the word of the manager that all will be handled in accordance with company policy. My manager made sure to let me know (smiling all the while) that they were the trainer for district managers , & ALL as well as letting me know that everyone who works there feels like I was "out to get the manager"because I called HR concerned about lack of training received. I was forced to close the store on my 4th night- with one other associate- after the Assistant told me she would rearrange the schedule because I was no where near ready to assume the responsibility. She was not true to her word- she did what was convenient to her because she doesn't want to close the store-apparently doesn't have transportation at night. (That is usually a requirement to be a member of management in retail) If you computer test your associates on procedures, and functions, why then don't you TRAIN them formally on the computer how to do these daily requirements like every other retailer out there, including WalMart? If you want quality people, you have to treat them with respect,train them PROPERLY and hold your management accountable ,( instead of letting them do whatever they like , and working whatever schedules suit them , and acting like school bullies when someone tries to ask for help).I am seeking another job, and when I find it, I will not give more than 1 minutes notice before handing over the keys. , I will return the favor of being forced to stay in the store, unable to leave because there is no other management there, with no lunch because no one bothered to disclose this little bit of information.