Dollar General - Bait and Hook | Glassdoor

"Bait and Hook"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There could be opportunities for growth if you're willing to put up with open ended promises.
Having fun with the employees really made my days and helping them in their personal growth and leadership development growth.

Cons

Lack of support from the district and regional team.
Lack of technology in POS systems.
SOP on Store Managers to review security cameras to monitor internal theft/shrink - To a point where external shrink was considered "out of sight/out of mind".
Benefits are okay but you pay more than the company for those benefits.

Advice to Management

Do not recruit individuals to your management staff stating they are in their current position until a DM or RM role opens up and leave it void and null. In writing, in emails and over phone interviews this was claimed and never followed up on. When asked, all parties claimed to not have stated these words; however, proof was in email with their corporate email address attached.
Store managers need more field support and rely heavily on their peers for support rather than their DM.
Inventory control is a nightmare, need to update technology to account for all "known theft" items, not just logs for certain items.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. "sad ,scottsviile DC"

Current Employee - Trailer Locator in Scottsville, KY
    Current Employee - Trailer Locator in Scottsville, KY

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay,close to home,love my Job WHILE I STILL have it .

Cons

have worked at dollar general for over 15 years used to be a 5 star place to work .after all this time perfect work record not a day missed outsourcing my job ,work in office .unappreciative senior management,employees undervalued ,communication very poor ,after others are trained to do our Jobs we go work in warehouse only 8 weeks to get use to walking after sitting all these years same 8 weeks to make production

Advice to Management

positivereinforcement ,not fear ,try to see how much there employees do ,not if they like or dislike them ,bring back MR.TURNERs ,VALUES we miss them

2. "Don't, just don't."

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Moundville, AL
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Moundville, AL

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to advance quickly.

Cons

Very poor and inexperienced management. Extreme mistrust and poor treatment of employees. Zero work / life balance. The week's work schedule isn't posted until the day before it's start, making it impossible to plan ahead.