Dollar General - Decent part-time job | Glassdoor

"Decent part-time job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, so it's who you end up with. The workload is multitasking, but use your common sense. Also, it's not bad to ask for help from time to time from co-workers. This job is sort of demanding at first, but people just get used to it. Not sure which I like better, the opening shift or the closing shift. I hear you get paid weekly, but the weekly pay at first is bi-weekly if through direct deposit. It's great as long as your employers and co-workers are nice, just like any other job.

Cons

Just juggling two things at once. You also get your disgruntled customers who just hurl insults at you. Not much benefits for this part time job.

Advice to Management

Just separate responsibilities for people.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Nice at first but I now feel worthless and unappreciated."

Pros

I love almost everyone I work with and you do get paid weekly but thats it!

Cons

Where to start? Well first of all I was written up for not being fast enough when it came to putting the truck away when I was doing 3-4 rolltainers away. If thats not fast enough, what is? Secondly, there are supposed to be 4 keyholders, there are only 3 in this store which means I dont remember the last Friday or Saturday I had off. The store is way to small and we have no where to put our ungodly amount of over stock but the dms doesn't realize that which means he comes down on my manager which mean she comes down on me for not being fast enough again....so my third thing our dms wants me demoted because I dont put enough inventory away WHEN IT HAS NO WHERE TO GO!

Advice to Management

You need to rethink how you treat your employees, no wonder you can't keep most of them for more than a few months

"Work Load to High for everyone involved"

Pros

Ability to meet new people; generally a decent clientele, and opportunity for bonuses if you're on your game.

Cons

The work load is ridiculous if you can't hire quality employees. Notice that Dollar Generals are in a low-income network, and they tend to attract low-income uneducated talent. It's often hard to hire a good-quality team without looking in other towns. I hired employees who had to travel, and was in trouble for paying above what they were entitled to. I will pay for what they bring to the table. District and Regional managers are spread way to thin to have anything to do with the stores, and when you ask for help you're a failure. Advice? Walk into your store BEFORE you finish your paperwork. Ask questions. Meet the employees. You can't just "fire" and employee without reasonable cause. and its a big deal to let someone go (even if they suck at work!) I have ten years retail management, and could train a monkey to do an associate job.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your help and stop spreading upper management so thin. Store management, District, and regional. We are all people with real lives.