Dollar General - Work somewhere else | Glassdoor

"Work somewhere else"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers are friendly and helpful, others are not. DG stores generate a lot of business so the time goes by fast.

Cons

The stores stay disorganized because customers don't control their kids and adults just pick things up and set them down wherever they want (usually out of place), managers aren't available to help when needed, training is inadequate, back rooms are filthy and embarrassing, store offices are small and careless, work demands on employees are far more than what the pay is worth. Let's not mention the way customers treat the employees. Healthcare costs and other benefits will eat up the whole paycheck too because wages are so low. Full-time employees and key holders are often expected to work 12 hours or more per shift. You don't really get the required breaks either because you are always called to the front to handle customer needs, overrides, refunds, etc.

Brief example: When employees get busy and forget to remove one single sales sticker from the shelf, customers will find it and demand the discount. They don't care about the sale expiration date shown on the sticker. Your manager(s) will fail to inform the customers of this when asked and that will create even more stress for employees because the customers see that they will get away with that.

My advice: Find someplace else to work. Minimum wage isn't worth the work environment at Dollar General.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and pay them what they're worth.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Decent part-time job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, so it's who you end up with. The workload is multitasking, but use your common sense. Also, it's not bad to ask for help from time to time from co-workers. This job is sort of demanding at first, but people just get used to it. Not sure which I like better, the opening shift or the closing shift. I hear you get paid weekly, but the weekly pay at first is bi-weekly if through direct deposit. It's great as long as your employers and co-workers are nice, just like any other job.

Cons

Just juggling two things at once. You also get your disgruntled customers who just hurl insults at you. Not much benefits for this part time job.

Advice to Management

Just separate responsibilities for people.

"Nice at first but I now feel worthless and unappreciated."

Pros

I love almost everyone I work with and you do get paid weekly but thats it!

Cons

Where to start? Well first of all I was written up for not being fast enough when it came to putting the truck away when I was doing 3-4 rolltainers away. If thats not fast enough, what is? Secondly, there are supposed to be 4 keyholders, there are only 3 in this store which means I dont remember the last Friday or Saturday I had off. The store is way to small and we have no where to put our ungodly amount of over stock but the dms doesn't realize that which means he comes down on my manager which mean she comes down on me for not being fast enough again....so my third thing our dms wants me demoted because I dont put enough inventory away WHEN IT HAS NO WHERE TO GO!

Advice to Management

You need to rethink how you treat your employees, no wonder you can't keep most of them for more than a few months