Dollar General - I Loved the job I had until I moved to Yuma Az. Me and the store manager didn't get along that well. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"I Loved the job I had until I moved to Yuma Az. Me and the store manager didn't get along that well."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company will work with your needs and the employees do work well together.

Cons

And some of the Manager are not team players , some of the work is not shared equally among each others.

Advice to Management

The DM's should listen to the employees instead of going back to the store manager and telling them what was said about them but all the DM's are not like this.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"Overly demanding, underpaid, no support..."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a stable company that is growing rapidly.great place to work if you're a part time cashier, and they're good about promoting internally.

Cons

Where do I start?? Never have I worked for a company that is SO unrealisticly demanding. I am miserable... I work seven days a week most of the time, averaging 65 hours or so in a futile effort to keep up. They send ungodly amounts of freight every week to stores that do NOT have the room to deal with it. They allow us the most minuscule payroll ever to manage these super busy stores that are bringing in billions a year. With such small payroll hours it forces the manager to make up all the difference on their underpaid salaries. Resulting in exhausted, miserable managers that end up leaving ecause they can't take it anymore. It's never ending, like shoveling snow in a blizzard EVERY day!!! This is why they have such high turnover in management. The ridiculous demands, the low pay, and they usually put you in a store that has so many problems it's unreal and way before you're ready and trained properly. You think they'd clue in at some point about why it is that they can't keep decent people... I took this job in an effort to better my financial situation, but I'm here to tell you I'm about ready to eat dirt just for some relief from working here. :(( It's a shame too because I wouldn't mind it all a bit if you felt like they understood anything that we go through just to keep their stores well managed and making money. We simply CANNOT keep up with the freight on the shelves like its needed, all the CONSTANT changes to planograms, seasonal sets, end caps etc. with the tiny payrolls. We can't hire or schedule the proper amount of people needed to maintain these stores at optimal levels and it's BEYOND frustrating and miserable. No one can understand this unless you've worked for this company.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on your managers for God's sake!! These poor people are killing themselves for the most part trying to to your constant bidding on the inadequate payroll you allow us. Take a closer look at WHY so many mangers fail or leave so quickly... It's not all about them I assure you. Please figure out a better system for them to better keep up with the constant barrage of tasks, duties, freight, Mag sets etc... Like allowing them more people!!! Most of these stores are incredibly busy and these poor people need your HELP, not more demands!! It's SO frustrating because I had REALLY high hopes for growing with this company and all I am is incredibly exhausted and sad. There's absolutely no work-life balance... Help your poor managers that are making you very rich and successful.

"The crew was great but management caused all of the employee hours to be cut drasically."

Former Employee - Cashier in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Columbia, SC

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will get a paycheck.

Cons

Working enough hours to make it worth your time.

Advice to Management

when you have employees working for you and you bring in a new manager, don't allow his pay to cut their hours.