Dollar General - Dollar General is the worst company I have ever worked for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Dollar General is the worst company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Newnan, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The insurance is not bad considering. It covers prescriptions very well. The paperwork can be easy to take care of if you are organized.

Cons

Store managers work 6 days a week per the company only leaving them one day off. They can take a half day, but if you go in it is hard to leave that early. The store manager has to do everything with little to no help. This doesn't allow the store manager to actually manager the business the way they should be able to. If Dollar General would realize this then their business would do better. There is no payroll and employees have to work by themselves in the store quite often. It is too stressful and does not pay well for as many hours that has to be put in and all the hard work that they do.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. "Love this Store!!"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Goldsboro, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Goldsboro, NC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had 3 Store Managers and they have all been great to work for, they give set job duties and support their sales associates. I have found they support balance of work/home life and always try to promote from within.

Cons

Upper management tend to be distant in their relations with employees and have an attitude that majority of store shrinkage comes from within which is insulting.

Advice to Management

Wages could be higher with the amount of work we do and maybe bonus incentives to help increase sales, a happy employee is a productive employee :)

"Heavy Work Load, A lot of responsibility"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros

Fast pace, time goes by very quickly. It's fun interacting with customers. Pretty good benefits package for a discount retailer.

Cons

Heavy work load, relatively low pay for the amount of responsibility. Poor training. Individual experience will vary based on store manager and district manager style. Not much support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Training needs serious improvement, they train people inadequately then write them up when mistakes are made. Very unfair. My requests for better training have been denied by store manager. Managers should be more open to suggestions from employees. Better support would equal better productivity.