Dollar General - A company that could be great, if it wasn't sabotaging itself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"A company that could be great, if it wasn't sabotaging itself"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers, always busy, and I was fortunate enough to have some good co-workers. And I liked how the store was set up. With a small team taking care of the store, it kept a neighborly feel.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, inconsistent breaks, limited opportunities for advancement, and a high distrust of employees when it comes to theft. Here are a few comments I received from other co-workers: "Why would you work long-term for DG?," "They are more worried about us stealing than the vendors and customers," and "I only make fifty cents above minimum wage to be a lead." To sum it up: Dollar General does not show appreciation for its store employees. I just don't understand it. The store should come first because it is the main source of revenue.

Advice to Management

Become more competitive and invest more in the people who care for your stores. After all, the stores are your "money-makers." Taking care of a store requires more than half-time effort; therefore, if you want good workers, pay for full-time effort. If you want someone to invest in your company, you must be willing to invest in them. It would save you money in the long-term because you'd cut the costs of hiring and retraining people. You'd save money and improve sales by attracting people who would come to really care for the stores.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. "dissatisfied"

Current Employee - Store Manager Candidate in Winter Haven, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager Candidate in Winter Haven, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pays every week, that's about it.

Cons

not enough hours. they give the stores so much tasks with little hours to get done . the manager would have to be in the store by themselves till about ten. they build stores in bad areas which isn't a safe for anyone to be in the store by themselves. they slave the manager who is on salary.

Advice to Management

YOU CANNOT SACRIFACE GUEST SERVICE FOR LABOR !! YOU NEED MORE TEAM MEMEBERS TO BE IN THE STORE TO SERVE THE GUEST ! ONE MANAGER CANT DO IT ALL !! YOU ARE KILLING YOUR MANAGERS ! AND HAVE ALOT OF VERY UNHAPPY GUEST !

2. "A lot of hours."

Pros

Good benefits. Good freight process . Nothing else

Cons

Never enough to hours to run a store.

Advice to Management

Give u r manager sick days so they don't have to vacation time when sick to come in on payroll