Dollar General - I would have stayed if I was treated better and paid better. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"I would have stayed if I was treated better and paid better."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crossville, TN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crossville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice regular customers
- You don't have to work in extreme cold or heat
- They supply you with a box cutter

Cons

- You have to find and buy your own uniform - find a black polo (has to have a collar) and a black pair of pants
- Corporate's ridiculous policies
- They only pay the very least amount they legally have to
- No pay raises unless you've been there a year or become a manager
- Very inconsistent schedule that changes last minute
- Very little training
- Inconsistencies in how things are done between stores
- Management often carries themselves above you
- No holiday pay, no discounts
- Awful work/life balance
- Corporate does not like to spend time upgrading the store or fixing things within the store
- Corporate will cut pay hours randomly near the end of the pay week
- Corporate piles way too many plan-o-grams (resetting of entire sections of the store) all at once on the managers
- Corporate does not let workers work overtime to cover for someone out; they use employees from a different store
- They do not hire enough people so that when one person quits, everyone struggles and become overworked
- Lazy managers make the cashiers do the manager's work and everything the cashier was originally assigned as well
- Corporate puts unrealistic expectations on the store managers' shoulder and it burdens all the employees under said manager
- The boxes that DG brand items are sent in are very flimsy
- The wrong amounts of products are sent, causing lack of product or extreme overstock
- Hard work is not rewarded
- They make you card for everyone - even if they're 80 years old (no exaggeration) - and that can result in angry customers

Advice to Management

Better pay, better treatment, and better training would make the stores much better to work at. Corporate needs to stop being so greedy and weed out the bad people.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. "A lot demanded with little to work with"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rouses Point, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Rouses Point, NY

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clearly written standards and policies and a lot of computer based learning

Cons

Very long six day work weeks for store managers. Large amount of tasks to be completed with inadequate amount of hours to complete them. Rapid growth for the benefit of the company without thought of how it will effect the older store they are opening near. And little to HR help with employee issues including harassment or hostile work environment complaints

Advice to Management

For every action there is a reaction! Failure to listen and address HR complaints and rapidly changing procedures causes more issues than you realize!

"Such an awful company to work for"

Former Employee - Dollar General Third Key in Cache, OK
    Former Employee - Dollar General Third Key in Cache, OK

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to my home, met some great friends and I got tons of hours. I enjoyed the paycheck.

Cons

Schedules constantly being changed without notice, never had enough employees on shift to do what needed to be done, management isn't authorized breaks or meals if alone on shift, constant griping from upper level management over messy store (when there aren't enough employees to get the stock out).

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter. They won't read this. Any advice or ideas are promptly ignored in favor of the bottom line. The CEO of the company has no interest in the associate level employees.