Dollar General - Nothing too great about it | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Nothing too great about it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farrell, PA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farrell, PA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good for being a sales associate.

Cons

Barely had any training, was supposed to be three days, it was 5 minutes the first day on the job. Expect a lot out of one cashier when only two people were present during the whole shift.

Advice to Management

Hire at least one more person so job duties can get done more efficently. Don't hire people who don't have customer service personalities and hate working with the public

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

"DG will cure you of ever wanting to work in retail again."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a single one.

Cons

Not nearly enough payroll given to the stores to accomplish the tasks required, unless the store manager is there 24/7, and they're not paid nearly enough to expect that. I have worked here through more store managers than I can keep track of, not to mention a long period with no manager and a SMC who didn't want to be doing the job. The work environment is horrid, with corporate controlled HVAC, so even the customers are miserable year-round. I'm sure someone at corporate has an excellent reason why planograms should be changed 3 times in a year, but all that does is take more time away from dealing with customers. I'm pretty sure those in charge have no idea where the money for their paychecks comes from, or they wouldn't make things as difficult and challenging for the stores as they do. I feel very badly for our current store manager, who is a hard-worker, but who is seeing how the company actually works. I imagine he'll be gone before he hits another anniversary date.

Advice to Management

I don't think anyone should be allowed to work in the corporate office until they've spent 6 months at store level, and part of that through the holiday season. Not all of your employees are thieves, but plenty of your 'customers' are, though you make it next to impossible to catch them with the minimal payroll hours you allot to the stores--one person working alone in a store cannot possibly catch the career shoplifters who stuff their bags and clothing and then walk out the front door.

"Backwards company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Athens, GA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers are great that's about it

Cons

District manager is clueless no support from upper managment

Advice to Management

Restructure upper managment