Dollar General - Save money by ripping off employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

"Save money by ripping off employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lavalette, WV
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lavalette, WV

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

...learned what a model corporation does not look like.

Cons

where to begin. I am cussed out constantly by my manager for refusing to work 16 hrs. I don't receive my schedule for the next day till the night before. The place runs on a constant skeleton staff. Unreasonable amounts of totes to stock while also on duty for register. Forced to work through breaks. I'm supposed to be part time yet I work 40 hrs a week because they refuse to hire more than 5 people To top it off, I have actually not been paid when I came to work because the ast. manager did not ask the gen. manager. Horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Train employees(i did not get the cbls till a month after employment), add more employees to store at one time. And pay your workers when they are there. The number one thing that can destroy a business is an angry workforce, an believe me DG, you got one.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get enough hours, and you get alot of recognition.

Cons

The salary is too low.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary on assistant manager

"Depends on who you work with and store location"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You get paid. This can hold you over while you look for better work, or you can try to be a manager.
    -You don't have to work outside in the heat or in the cold. The buildings temperature is controlled by corporate and stays around 75-85 degrees.
    -If you work at a store location that doesn't have a high volume of customers, your job can be somewhat laid back.

Cons

-The only place to move up in the company that is somewhat accessible is to be the store manager. There are special teams and district managers, but these positions are rarely up for grabs. You have to "know somebody".
    -Dealing with angry customers and thieves.
    -You don't get a lot of dependable people at these kinds of jobs so if you are dependable you get called in A LOT on your scheduled time off.
    -Corporate always wants more out of you for less time. You have to just do what you can do and not stress.
    -Worked all holidays (except Christmas day).

Don't let me scare you with all these cons. The job is okay if you can talk to people. It's just not a "dream job".

Advice to Management

After I graduated from a four year university, I worked for Dollar General for over a year. I was dependable, hard working, and covered other persons shift 30+ times. I lived for that store. What I was hoping for was a chance to get on the corporate side. However, I couldn't get any returned phone calls, e-mails, nothing from corporate or my district manager. This company just wants you to be a stupid worker ant. It's a big army of worker ants. Graduates - don't try to work your way up in this company. They don't care if you're smart or not, they just want you to run register and stock cans. Go elsewhere.