Dollar Tree - They are about numbers | Glassdoor

"They are about numbers"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

The store team was great
Great as a part-time worker hours ranged from 4-20 hrs a week depending on hours available

Cons

No ergonomic support - standing at the registers really takes a toll on your body.
Increasing holiday hours. Example 9-9 on 4th of July.

Advice to Management

I understand this company needs to make it's money but please consider that your workers are people with families too.
Also, you might want to look at getting someone to make working stations and the work environment more ergonomic. Even Walmart cashiers get nice rubber mats for their registers. Preventative actions help decrease chronic conditions or at least delay them.
If you take the time to read this, thank you.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

1. "Dollar Tree Buying Office"

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company, great work environment, great benefits.

Cons

A little bit of growing pains, and communication issues between departments. Structure is top heavy. Difficult to grow in your career path.

"Lackadaisical & Very Low Pay"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are friendly and outgoing. They also understand this mediocre company like I do. The customers bring you a friendly cheer on and off throughout the day.

Cons

Being a manager, growth and advancing in the company is nearly impossible. When you reach the level of full-time management there is less than a single $1 difference in part-time, frozen and merchandise manager. It makes you not even want to consider taking the next step up. The middle frozen manager under the merchandise manager is only responsible for frozen and makes only 50 cents less than the merchandise manager who is in charge of the entire store itself, stocking, unloading 1,000 to 1,500 cases with little assistance. I certainly wouldn't accept that position for only a 25 or 50 cent increase.

The expectations of the DM and SM of your store when closing are insurmountable or not achievable do the lack manpower and associates you are given. It is a joke. It absolutely cannot be done. At my store, the SM never works on the night before the DM comes the next morning. It is me alone redundantly cleaning the same aisles over and over again from misplaced items, trash on the ground and my cashier is alone at the front. It's absurd. I am expected to front face every item in the store, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, fill the drinks and the freezers and be out of the store one half hour after closing. It cannot be done.

You are also never complimented for anything good or positive you do. If you do something wrong you will only be chastised for something else; never making you feel optimistic or raising you work efforts.

My store is dilapidated. Old nasty carpet. Gum smashed into the floors. Holes in the ceiling and somehow this is supposed to be the "model store". We need tile floors, but that will absolutely never happen because the company is so cheap.

They will freely and arbitrarily take your work hours and cut your shift entirely to balance the payroll hours and sales. Me, that infuriates me because I need the money! Very poorly managed.

Advice to Management

Step up to the plate and better your appearance to your customers and your own employees. We are the driving force in this company. Stop basing all of your business on investors and Mr. Sasser himself.