Dollar Tree - Best job ive had part time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"Best job ive had part time"

Former Employee - Cashier in New Philadelphia, OH
Former Employee - Cashier in New Philadelphia, OH

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easiest job I've had part time. Corporate enough but also laid back. Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be. worked there during college for a year, easy, not stressful unless holidays.
Wish i would have bugged manager more about transferring when i transferred colleges.
managers are not too rude . don't be short on drawer and don't be rude. i dont know how else youd get fired.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage but to be expected. can be very boring at times but low stress so who cares. holidays can be stressful but they hire extra help. customers can be shady but whatever.

Advice to Management

don't fight between each other. dont bring others into it.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

"Be ready to run around 100mph all day long"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Competitive salary and benefits package.
    - Employee Stock Purchase Program...stock has made me a lot of money.
    - Nice monthly performance bonus program.
    - Extremely fast-paced, not for everyone, always something to do.
    - Stable and seemingly recession-proof company.
    - Management experience.
    - Helps keep me very active and in shape, no gym membership necessary.

Cons

- No payroll. It's almost always you and a cashier except in higher volume stores.
    - Must micro-manage using Appleseed program. Problem is unless you're a high volume store you're not micro-managing anyone but yourself. You're discouraged from doing anything except managing and pencil pushing. However you cannot expect your one cashier to cashier, stock your shelves, keep your store clean, and assist customers themselves, right? That means you have to do it all, plus your managerial duties.
    - Heavy emphasis on freight processing. Must receive and process your truck within 48 hours, but there's no stock crew. Management is your stock crew, essentially your opening manager only because you're not supposed to stock in the evening. But remember you're discouraged from stocking yourself, but have no choice.
    - Very difficult to train, coach, and develop your staff properly. It's all basically on the job training, learn as you go, if you make a mistake you're held accountable whether you've received adequate training or not. Not really fair, but it's how it's done.
    - I'm embarrassed by the poor customer service we are forced to provide. Everything is just so fast-paced and short-staffed you cannot adequately fulfill the needs of the customers. Making a customer wait for assistance is unacceptable. Not because we don't want to but because we just physically cannot be three places at once.
    - We are scheduled 50 hours per week, but only paid for 45, which means we are supposed to take an hour lunch. Try taking one. Try even going to the restroom for 2 minutes. Not happening. More often than not you end up working 60+ hours a week with no breaks.
    - Turnover from sales associates right on up through regional management has been incredible. In my 7 years I have yet to have the same boss for more than a consecutive year.
    - Fixed 2% annual raises for part-time employees, full-time assistants vary 1-3%, but 3% means you are the absolute perfect in every way, and store managers don't really get raises unless you've exceeded expectations in every metric and core competency. These are very rare. Simply meeting expectations isn't enough for an increase.
    - Be very prepared to run around the store like a maniac all day long. Must have almost superhuman levels of energy, be able to prioritize on the fly, and execute as quickly and efficiently as possible. Be a machine running on all cylinders at all times. No breaking down, no wasting time. Definitely not for everyone, probably not for most.

Advice to Management

Just observe and listen to your employees and understand your customers. Even work a few shifts side by side with the store managers. Impossible expectations, productivity programs that are volume-dependent and consequently counterproductive in non-high volume stores. An alarmingly large amount of your store managers are frustrated to their breaking point.

2. "Improvements needed. Policymakers should work their own "Laws" in an inner-city store..."

Current Employee - Ft Assistant Store Manager in Moultrie, GA
    Current Employee - Ft Assistant Store Manager in Moultrie, GA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

guaranteed at least min. of 35 hrs. per week
    most customers are great

Cons

must punch for breaks but usually won't get, low pay, not enough people working at same time, freight and work load to heavy, etc scedules Always subject to change and called in on day off.
    some of the regular customers can be very arrogant and huge butts
    parents with children let their kids run loose while they are destroying the store
    customers on cell phones at any given time during their shopping trip even while checking out or asking where something is located...and on and on and on...

Advice to Management

More payroll hours given to employ at least 2 cashiers and managment at ALL given open hours of business...even when slow. Better way and "tools" to make truck unload easier on all our backs.