Dollar Tree - As much as I complain about working here I can't seem to leave. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"As much as I complain about working here I can't seem to leave."

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay store managers good, and good bonuses and you gain a lot of useful experience.

Cons

Assistant managers don't get paid very well, associates don't ever get raises no matter how long they've worked there. The store is ran by a corporation that isn't always reliable.

Advice to Management

Let store managers make more decisions about their stores, not all stores are the same due to demographics. All store should have cameras! For many reasons. When employees and customers are caught stealing they should be charged with a crime, employees need to be made an example of if they steal. And in bad neighborhoods the word gets around if its easy to steal from certain stores, some people don't even care if you know they're stealing they just know that nobody will go after them. Associates need some incentive to work well, raises and rewards should be offered to those who deserve it, I've seen too many good people quit because they feel unappreciated by the company, if they were to get a decent raise for their hard work it would pay for its self. Also when a new associate or assistant manager is hired there are never any training hours so they begin work without enough knowledge or training. Also there should be a better way to train new employees, and assistant mangers, for example I used to work at a store where all new cashiers spent a 40 hour week just training before they were able to work.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

1. "Ok for the short term to get something better"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are female. They tend to promote women more than men from what I saw over five years.
    My experience there landed me a better paying job doing less work.
    If you are in with your DM and not dumber than a rock you WILL get promoted.

Cons

They base all of the employees minus the manager hours by weekly sales. This means you can be cut at any time if sales are down for any reason. They do not want cashiers working more than 15 hours, but it happens all the time, Trucks are unloaded by piece, nothing comes on a pallet and it takes 1-3 hours to do each truck. You never really know when it will show up meaning the freight crew is on call all day for up to two days. Cashiers are also the stockers because there is never enough hours to run a freight crew unless you are in a very large store. They keep track of how many boxes you put up in a public forum. If you suck, everyone will know.

Advice to Management

Do not making Managers work 60 hours from November till after Christmas and then give them nothing for it. We use to get comp days but they got rid of those.

"Dollar Tree Management"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to make own schedule.

Cons

work-family life balance poor. 3 weekends a month, 2 nights a week, 47.5 hours minimum a week, must work every first of the month weekend, no holidays off, 6 days a week during Christmas if you need to be there or not(no comp days in repayment of extra time), stressful work environment, and outrageous work expectations without proper payroll to accomplish goals.

Advice to Management

Accountability should start with the District Managers, making sure they are available to store managers and are knowledgeable about Dollar Tree processes and back office work. District trainers need to be competent and doing their job, so seasoned managers are not burdened by asking an overabundance of questions from new managers not properly trained thrown into stores.