Dollar Tree - Poor management values | Glassdoor

"Poor management values"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few, shorter work week than competition.

Cons

Overstocked stores, no control over merchandise being sent. Employee turnover is high because of low pay and high stress. Urban locations can not be kept clean, customers trash the stores faster than they can be straightened.

District manager insisted I return to work the day after my mothers funeral, which was 700 miles away and a 12 hour drive. This, after approving a three week leave. No respect is given to the employees, they are just another commodity to be used and discarded.

Advice to Management

Take time to work in the stores. Your money is made in the stores, not the corporate offices.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

"A terrible place"

Former Employee - Stocker in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker in McAllen, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are able to get hired without experience.

Cons

Where do I start?
    -You need to do X amount of boxes in a certain amount of time, they don't care if you helped customers, if you can't fit anything else in the isle, if they called you to talk to you.

Advice to Management

Remove the appleseed.

"Tough to succeed"

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dollar Tree pays a decent management salary, and you have a computer system that helps you find the information you need quickly.

Cons

There is no work/life balance. If you are a store manager good luck getting any days off, or even working less than a 10 hour day once in a while. They keep my payroll hours so low I can't even schedule a cashier each shift when I make out my weekly schedule. On top of that, since I don't have the hours to even schedule a cashier quite a bit of the time, I don't have hours for freight employees to unload the delivery truck or process freight to the floor.
    I have to schedule myself as the cashier/unloader/processor every week, which means I can't get to my job managing the store. They keep you bogged down with so much mindless paperwork and stacks of meaningless forms for every little thing you do in the store you simply can't keep up with it.
    If you go over an hour during the week they let you know immediately that I missed my payroll goal. There is no way to run a Dollar Tree store and have a life outside of work. You bleed and bleed for them and all they want is more blood from you.
    If you are thinking about becoming a manager at Dollar Tree, do yourself a favor and pass by the opportunity if they offer it to you.

Advice to Management

Understand that your managers need employee hours to be able to successfully operate the business. You go have such a high turnover in management because you pile so much work onto your managers and don't give managers the tools/hours they need to succeed.