Dollar Tree - being able to serve customers with low prices and great products. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"being able to serve customers with low prices and great products."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Savoy, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Savoy, IL

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

customers and ease of the job.

Cons

schedule, getting same pay as new employees even tho i had several years retail experience.

Advice to Management

some workers need help with hygiene.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

1. "ok company to work when you are young"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule , the management is willing to work with you.

Cons

This place could be very hectic and chaotic at times, especially during the holiday seasons and different holidays.

Advice to Management

cite praises nore often

"Employee compensation is the bare minimum the company can legally get away with."

Former Employee - Associate in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Redding, CA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here isn't so bad. Depending on the store, the actual environment is pretty good. You'll likely work with good people stocking shelves, and when needed you'll occasionally go up to do a little cashiering too. Because everything is $1, there's no need to worry about price tags or putting things up in any specific place, which means you have a lot of flexibility with actually putting things up, and it's no problem to re-arrange a shelf in order to get something to fit. Overall the work is typical retail stuff, and it's not any better or worse than what you might expect. This could be a decent job for a high-school student looking to work a little for video game money during the summer.

At the store level, the people you'll work with are usually great. (Though I've read some horror stories.) Problem is people at store manager level and lower are shackled by the tyranny of those at the higher level, all the way up to executive level.

Cons

For starters, there are two kinds of people at this company; managers, and everyone else. Managers make the kind of money you might expect to make as a typical employee at any other retail establishment. Everyone else makes minimum wage. For both, the chances of ever getting a raise are slim to none. I was not a manager, so I'll describe that experience. Your name is on the schedule, posted each week, for a total of about 12-16 hours. However, this schedule is largely ignored, and you can consider yourself "on-call" for the entire week. If the manager's budget for hours is good, you can expect to work as many as 32 hours, if not you'll probably be working your scheduled hours, if that. Each day you wait for the call to let you know if you're coming in the next day. Planning ahead for anything is impossible. Sure, you're free to say no, but then you're probably less likely to be asked to work more hours in the future.

I mentioned before, pay is minimum wage. I asked another employee about raises, and he laughed at me. Dollar Tree would probably pay you less, but that would be illegal. I assumed that it was because they charge a dollar for everything, but looking further into it they've actually got some very comfortable profit margins for a retail establishment. They've been very successful, and with the recession driving more people looking for a bargain, they've been doing VERY well. There is no reason why they couldn't pay their employees more than they do.

No perks I could see. They offer no health insurance to part-timers, and there is no employee discount. Also, off-the-clock security checks left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you work for Dollar Tree, all purchases you make must be overseen by a manager, and they are tracked. This is extremely inconvenient, as while waiting for a manager, you are either holding up the line, or standing around while other customers go ahead of you. This felt wrong to me as well, as these purchases are made off the clock, and yet your are treated as a potential thief, which is not something ordinary customers have to deal with.

I cannot recommend this job to anyone other than childless young-people who do not intend for Dollar Tree to be their main source of income and who only intend to work for Dollar Tree in the very short term. Even then, these people would likely be better off working in fast food, or any other retail establishment.

Advice to Management

This company needs a clearer path to higher positions. It needs better perks, such as an employee discount. Stop treating all your employees like potential criminals, the purchase tracking and off the clock security checks are a legal grey area, annoying, and unethical. The company needs to give proper raises to reward longer term employees, and to accommodate for inflation and a rising cost of living. The company needs to take experience into account when determining pay, as the current pay rate is nothing short of insulting. Currently, nobody works at Dollar Tree because they want to, and to take advantage of desperate people like this while simultaneously raking in high profits and watching your stock price go up is despicable.