Dollar Tree - I feel very fortunate to have ended up here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"I feel very fortunate to have ended up here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate culture values making the office an enjoyable place to spend the workweek, and work-life balance is a priority. Associates tend to be friendly, yet focused on achieving success for the company. The self-centered career-maniac types, or just plain poor workers, may find it hard to advance. Hard work and smarts will be noticed and rewarded. I feel that Dollar Tree has recognized and values my talents, and that no matter what direction the company takes in the ensuing years, there will be a place for me (job security).

Mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities, and it will take someone a lot of flubbing up before losing their job. I have enjoyed a lot of autonomy in my job. The expectation is that I use sound judgment and make decisions on my own, seeking guidance when needed. Management appreciates creative thinking, and that sometimes "asking forgiveness instead of asking permission" is the right call.

Bonuses are based primarily on company performance and can get really big when the company performs well, which it typically has over the past several years. The company has proven adept at consistent growth during my time here, and expects to continue growing for the foreseeable future.

401(k) match is better than average (100% match up to 4% of pay).

Associates regularly rub shoulders with and participate in projects and meetings with the executives. The company president knows me by name and is aware of what I am doing for the company. Particular to my department, our VP is always accessible, like just another member of the group, and is very loyal to those who work under him.

Cons

Health care premiums are high, and I wish HR would offer more incentives to improve health and lower cost (see "free soda" below). The obese chain-smokers (and there are plenty in the office) and I pay the same.

Dollar Tree is light on perks, but I dig the ones we have (free birthday lunch and other free lunches during the year, soda fountain in the cafe, occasional blue jeans on Friday).

There is little difference in yearly salary increase between those who "exceed expectations" and those who just do enough to keep their jobs. The real boost in compensation will usually come from promotion, which may include a larger bonus and stock award.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

1. "I enjoyed the interaction with the customers"

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Cortland, NY
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Cortland, NY

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and pleasant atmosphere

Cons

Stocking the shelves and lifting were difficult for me

Advice to Management

Hire people with disabilities or lifting restrictions for just cashier work. I had to leave due to my inability to lift over 20lbs. and standing for over 3 hours. Adding stools for cashiers would also make the job easier on older or disabled workers.

2. "More drama than high school."

Former Employee - District Manager in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - District Manager in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None the company is a big joke.

Cons

90 days till you get benifts. Hr is a joke. The company has no cameras in the stores. The are way behind the curve in retail. The stores run like other retailers did 10 years ago. The stores are allowed to un like a bunch of high school kids are in charge, and hr defends it.

Advice to Management

Get a real hr team. Learn how to run stores effectively.