Dollar Tree - Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time I spent with this company. I had a great dm to work for, and as long as I did my job to run a great store than I had no issues. I left for more money , but have thoughts of trying to return back as a dm. The pros were being able to make your own schedule, and it being flexible. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. You can create the culture you want in your four walls. Company has a good business model, and is very stable.

Cons

Very physical, and have a lack of hours for proper staffing. Upper management is the good old boys network that has some people in place that do not understand the nature of the business. You also have to be prepared for long hours as this is retail, and that means holidays. Company is building stores right on top of each other, and if this happens to your store you can say goodbye to your bonus. Customers can be great, but you also see the under belly of society in this business.

Advice to Management

Promote within- you have great store managers and dm's that should be moving upwards. Stop bringing in leaders of failed companies when you already have the talent that knows how to make your company successful.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

"Promises are obviously made to be broken"

Current Employee - District Training Manager
    Current Employee - District Training Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Honestly, the training for store managers is great and extensive. Moving from a cashier or stocker to assistant is also an easy feet. Internal promotions are always being done at store level positions.

Cons

Promotions from store to field level are lies. Everything changes when a new DM and above is promoted. Too many different ideas on the same thing from field management. Rate of pay for associates is poor and not at all a livable wage. Hours are too few. Very much a high school setting.

Advice to Management

Your promotion policy is horrid. You need to stop liking people based on personal preference and instead on numbers and customer feedback. If your basing the managers review on metrics and competences then that should be your basis for promotion. Purposely hiring one manager 6k less than one down the road is also unfair work practices and I'm pretty sure illegal. Stop making mangers feel incompetent when they get no support from dm's. Especially since staffing has to approved by the DM. I could continue but there is no point.

2. "Not the best company to work for."

Pros

Customers, new merchandise each week.

Cons

It all depends on the district and DM you are working for.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in stores before making corporate decisions. All stores are different. Listen to the managers.