Dollar Tree - Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time I spent with this company. I had a great dm to work for, and as long as I did my job to run a great store than I had no issues. I left for more money , but have thoughts of trying to return back as a dm. The pros were being able to make your own schedule, and it being flexible. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. You can create the culture you want in your four walls. Company has a good business model, and is very stable.

Cons

Very physical, and have a lack of hours for proper staffing. Upper management is the good old boys network that has some people in place that do not understand the nature of the business. You also have to be prepared for long hours as this is retail, and that means holidays. Company is building stores right on top of each other, and if this happens to your store you can say goodbye to your bonus. Customers can be great, but you also see the under belly of society in this business.

Advice to Management

Promote within- you have great store managers and dm's that should be moving upwards. Stop bringing in leaders of failed companies when you already have the talent that knows how to make your company successful.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

"your a number"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

" id say the pros would be when you have your own store you build a family with your staff. you can make bonus but very hard. you can move up pretty easy.

Cons

"where do I begin. policy is always changing and there is never any info on it to back up the changes so its you do what I want or see yea. the hours you have to put in can be taxing and you are expected to have no life and devote your to the company personal life does not exist. never enough hours to properly get task completed with the last min deadlines and never having the product on time to set it with . higher ups really have never worked in any of the stores to see what we have to deal with on a real leaval instead of here do this in this time . lack of support and no matter what happens your always wrong.

Advice to Management

the turn over rate for this company is like 80% keep looking

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex schedule under the right manager.
    Good staff, benefits for full time employees, ability to transfer state to state.
    Great merchandise.
    Great starting opportunity.

Cons

Pay is not good for the amount of work involved.
    not enough staff to help customers and customer become rightfully angry.
    some store in dangerous location without security or amble lighting at night.
    night bank deposit are dangerous at certain locations.

Advice to Management

Consider having no less that 3 - 4 plus management regular staff members on schedule at all times. This will ensure cleanliness of store, stocking and most important proper assistant available to customers on the sales floor. I worked in retail for over 20 years in all aspects, and this is the first high traffic company with the least amount of proper staffing. Its unrealistic for certain districts. It might work for certain areas but you must consider the location when staffing. Good company can be one of the greater ones with a better retail structure.
    Offer your staff a better salary and you can get some real quality people on board. Consider Costco and Trade Joe type companies when staffing, they have happy team members and its always a pleasant experience for the customer.