Dollar Tree - Been there almost four year | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

"Been there almost four year"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do like to promote from within 8/12 of the stores in my district have store managers that started out as assistants and even as cashiers. The monthly bonuses which aren't as hard to get as everyone thinks. I have a good dm which helps me any time I need it. I am usually out of there right on my scheduled time. They pay is good especially compared to other dollar type stores

Cons

Having just two assistants and one quitting. Trying to get a full week vacation without having to borrow an assistant from another store. The truck not ever coming in on time

Advice to Management

Under cover boss

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree

1. "I have had an O.K. experience with Dollar Tree."

Pros

Great managers, friendly working environments and the training was fabulous.

Cons

Not only is the pay too little for the manual labor that is performed, but the number of days possible to work is less than full time. As an associate you can never be a full time employee.

Advice to Management

Please give associates full time hours even if that means no benefits included.

2. "Unsteady and unreliable"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and they hire just about anyone. They do not care about your background unless you're applying for any kind of management position.

Cons

You work in 5-hour shifts and there is no communication between workers/management. Scheduling is a mess. They tell you that they have only so many hours for you yet they keep hiring more people when they don't need to. I was super lucky to get 10 hours per week let alone 5 regardless of my work performance. Some weeks I had 0 hours. That is not going to encourage people to stay. People can't live off $30-60 per week. Oh and many of the customers were just plain ignorant. Nothing in the store is over $1 (it's only plastered all over the store front and on the walls...) so quit asking. However that is expected in most retail environments anyways--so nothing new on that front. Same with lazy coworkers.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Tell them they're doing a good or bad job or even the RIGHT job. Never once was I acknowledged for ANY of my work or suggestions. Quit hiring more people if you're running out of hours to give to others that have been there longer. Train everyone for cashiering--including stockers--it'll make life better for everyone. Oh and treat us decently please--focusing on the negative all the time isn't going to encourage us to work harder.