Douglas County School District (CO) - forecast unknown | Glassdoor

"forecast unknown"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a great culture when I was there. Worked with some amazing peers. Nice to know that your work benefits the community.

Cons

rapid growth in some areas led to improperly staffed divisions. Middle management are some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they are not good managers. The current trends of the highest levels of administration are bringing a lot of politics into situations that just make everything complicated. Seems like the organization is in the news every week for all the wrong reasons and this creates a lot of distractions.

But the worst is that the pay they offer is low. Make sure you negotiate the highest salary you can coming in the door because you will not get raises or promotions even when they are promised. It just does not happen.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and open about your objectives. Your employees are not as dumb as you think and don't want to hear the same "spin" you give to the media. They want to know what the leaders are doing and how to support it to make them more successful and their jobs more enjoyable but when you hide what you are really doing and change the target and the rules constantly it eventually just leads to confusion, low morale and burnout and people looking for new opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for Douglas County School District (CO)

"I have worked as a teacher in DCSD for 9 years"

Current Employee - High School Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Teacher

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The teachers here are dedicated, passionate, and phenomenal at their jobs.
    The students are great, supportive parent community

Cons

Morale is horrendous and falling rapidly. The school board is on a political power-grab, trying to make a name for themselves by "reforming" this district into oblivion. Every week some new change seems to come down the pike, none of which have been in the best interest of kids or teachers. Teachers who speak up are dismissed as a "disgruntled few" who are simply "afraid of accountability", and parents/community members who disagree with the district's direction are belittled or ignored.

Advice to Management

Change for the sake of change is not progress. You've taken a strong, high-performing district, and thrown it into chaos just to satisfy your political egos. My advice would be to pack your bags & get ready for November elections. You've caused enough damage here - time to get OUT.

"I am a teacher going into my 13th year in the district."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The students and staff at my school are great. Most parents are supportive and the access to technology in my school is readily available.

Cons

The Board of Education and their "market value" salary bands, the evaluation system poorly planned out. There is a complete lack of respect for teachers by the upper administration. Other districts in the area are paying between $5-10,000 more in salary. Lack of communication and collaboration between upper admin and teachers and principals.

Advice to Management

Give a survey to parents and teachers to see if they are happy as you say, or dissatisfied with the current direction of the district.