Douglas County School District (CO) - Was decent then, but not sure about now... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Douglas County School District (CO)

"Was decent then, but not sure about now..."

Former Employee - Teacher in Castle Rock, CO
Former Employee - Teacher in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, loved the school hours options, involved parents, very much so on top of technological advancement, paid us for taking staff development classes (like $400 per class) and for participating in fitness programs.

Cons

Not very diverse AT all. Some of the administrators that REALLY needed to go, were just left at some schools even though they were not at all being productive. Now however they have no union and salaries are cut, they do not pay into benefits and teacher rights and respect is dwindling.

Other Employee Reviews for Douglas County School District (CO)

"forecast unknown"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a great culture when I was there. Worked with some amazing peers. Nice to know that your work benefits the community.

Cons

rapid growth in some areas led to improperly staffed divisions. Middle management are some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they are not good managers. The current trends of the highest levels of administration are bringing a lot of politics into situations that just make everything complicated. Seems like the organization is in the news every week for all the wrong reasons and this creates a lot of distractions.

But the worst is that the pay they offer is low. Make sure you negotiate the highest salary you can coming in the door because you will not get raises or promotions even when they are promised. It just does not happen.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and open about your objectives. Your employees are not as dumb as you think and don't want to hear the same "spin" you give to the media. They want to know what the leaders are doing and how to support it to make them more successful and their jobs more enjoyable but when you hide what you are really doing and change the target and the rules constantly it eventually just leads to confusion, low morale and burnout and people looking for new opportunities.

"I am a teacher going into my 13th year in the district."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The students and staff at my school are great. Most parents are supportive and the access to technology in my school is readily available.

Cons

The Board of Education and their "market value" salary bands, the evaluation system poorly planned out. There is a complete lack of respect for teachers by the upper administration. Other districts in the area are paying between $5-10,000 more in salary. Lack of communication and collaboration between upper admin and teachers and principals.

Advice to Management

Give a survey to parents and teachers to see if they are happy as you say, or dissatisfied with the current direction of the district.