Dow Chemical - Dow was a great place to learn, not necessarily the best place for my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical

"Dow was a great place to learn, not necessarily the best place for my career"

Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI
Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I did 3 co-op terms with Dow. All of them in different locations, and different job roles. I was pleased with my experiences, and have learned a lot during my time with them. Some of the pros:
- Company Culture
- Large number of different opportunities both in US and globally, many possible career paths
- People I worked with were good
- Big on safety
- Large variety of products and business segments

Cons

I did not accept an offer with them, because following my co-op experiences although expressing to them what my interests were, I felt I was offered a generic position doing a line of work i wasn't interested in. Other companies listened more to what my interests were, and offered more competitive offers doing more exciting work. Some cons:
- Didn't listen to my interests
- Locations (for young professionals they aren't exciting places)
- Short term vision by executive management, making promises that can't be kept (leads to feeling of instability after every bad quarter)

Advice to Management

Switch to long term outlook, don't make promises to investors that can't be met. Focus on fulfilling new plants and improvement projects, and long term strategy will pay off. Dow has a great variety of interesting products coming down the line, with a lot of creative innovation, needs to focus on delivering those rather than cutting costs.

Other Employee Reviews for Dow Chemical

1. "good company for learning processes"

Former Employee - Purchasing Manager in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Purchasing Manager in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

large multinational company with opportunities to progress upwards and laterally in many different roles. Good reputation as chemical manufacturing employer

Cons

intangibles can be more important than tangibles in rating of employees performance. HR dept is supporter of management and not employees

2. "Great work experience with great environment and people!"

Former Intern - Improvement Engineer in Freeport, TX
    Former Intern - Improvement Engineer in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

9-80s and 4-40s provide flexible work schedule that fits all lifestyles. Working in a plant provides excitement of producing product and money for the company on a daily basis. The safety as priority #1 makes for a comfortable feel each day going to work. Job security is high. Exciting and challenging work with very cool equipment (in newer plants).

Cons

Many processes are broken due to the large nature of the company and employees are able to push around work rather than jumping into a problem right away. Job The pay is not competitive with other similar companies operating on the gulf coat (i.e., Exxon, BP, Chevron). Bonuses are based on overall company performance rather than specific plant performance.

Advice to Management

The main complaint that I have heard out of the Texas/Gulf Coast employees is that the pay is not competitive. Also, employees in a role that they are "too valuable an asset to let go of" after 2-3 years in a role need to be released or compensated to prevent from low morale and poor productivity.