Dow Jones - In transition...not a great place to be right now | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dow Jones

"In transition...not a great place to be right now"

Current Employee - Director in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
Current Employee - Director in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, ambitious team, great product.

Cons

Lackluster management team. Tyrant of a CEO. Lots of micro-management.

Advice to Management

Employees are a stakeholder too. Figure out how to communicate with them and give them a reason to stay.

Other Employee Reviews for Dow Jones

1. "Flexible, but can be frustrating"

Former Employee - Content Quality Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Content Quality Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible working hours. I was able to work from home 3 days a week and it was never an issue to take time off. The benefits were also very, very good- especially the health insurance.

Cons

Lack of resources allocated to certain products which created a lot of frustration for the people working on them. You end up with the feeling that what you do is not important. There also was very little opportunity for advancement which did not do much for overall employee morale.

"Great in the beginning, but a change in CEO/Corporate Leadership brought it all down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there until there was a change in CEO and the entire company culture was turned in its head. My colleagues were friendly, helpful, team-oriented and committed. I loved the work I did and the benefits wete the best I ever had.

Cons

A change in CEO saw many of my colleagues downsized right out of their jobs by a new regime that seemed to be inexperienced and arrogant, a bad combination. They made cuts in staff that seemed random and excessive, laying off many long-term employees who had spent years at Dow Jones. They were from a rival organization and it appearded tatthey were trying to change the entire corporate culture to mirror that of the rival organization.

Advice to Management

I wih you all the best, but changing the corporate culture and eliminating so many people with most of the knowledge about products and services doesn't seem to be a smart move. nor does placing junior-level people in senior level positions (a former admin. is now head of global customer service at the age of 26?!?). When you start to change the brand of The Wall Street Journal, I have some serious reservations about the direction in which you are headed. Many of those who weren't laid off wish they had been.