Dow - Great work experience with great environment and people! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dow

"Great work experience with great environment and people!"

Former Intern - Improvement Engineer in Freeport, TX
Former Intern - Improvement Engineer in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

9-80s and 4-40s provide flexible work schedule that fits all lifestyles. Working in a plant provides excitement of producing product and money for the company on a daily basis. The safety as priority #1 makes for a comfortable feel each day going to work. Job security is high. Exciting and challenging work with very cool equipment (in newer plants).

Cons

Many processes are broken due to the large nature of the company and employees are able to push around work rather than jumping into a problem right away. Job The pay is not competitive with other similar companies operating on the gulf coat (i.e., Exxon, BP, Chevron). Bonuses are based on overall company performance rather than specific plant performance.

Advice to Management

The main complaint that I have heard out of the Texas/Gulf Coast employees is that the pay is not competitive. Also, employees in a role that they are "too valuable an asset to let go of" after 2-3 years in a role need to be released or compensated to prevent from low morale and poor productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Dow

1. "Do-Your-Time Mentality"

Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dow has a collaborative, friendly, family-oriented culture. When Dow hires you, they're hiring all of you and expect to keep you for your career. Most things (except the constant restructuring) about the culture reflect this. Career-long development allows you experience multiple types of roles.

Cons

I think they will have a lot of trouble keeping younger talent in HR in the coming years. Early roles are not strategic enough or challenging enough to keep us interested. Eventually, you get to do the fun stuff but you have to do your time first.
    Compensation for my education and field is below market. This is because Dow's comp philosophy is under market at beginning of employment and eventually evens out... Hence the 'do your time' mentality. Hard work and commitment pays off EVENTUALLY....
    The feeling of 'always doing, yet never done' cycles with a feeling of 'give me something meaningful to do please'.
    All roads lead to Midland. Being anywhere but there impedes your career.

Advice to Management

Consider developing new talent differently. We are different than prior generations. We want to be challenged with meaningful work. Stretch us. Remember that we have brains and want to use them. If you continue to offer lower than market compensation for early career-jobs that will provide little personal fullfilment, we will not stick around long enough to "do our time" and you'll be left with gaping holes in your succession plans. What go you here, won't get you there.

2. "Can have a good work life balance - at the expense of compensation"

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Plaquemine, LA
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Plaquemine, LA

I have been working at Dow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance is great
    you track your own vacation
    good culture - most people are willing to help young people
    take home laptop's and vpn access to email allows for flexible work schedules

Cons

compensation and benefits - could easily go to a competitor in the local area and get 30% raise - with same or better benefits
    diversity is a good thing - but Dow takes it to far - with hiring and promotion practices

Advice to Management

Abolish diversity targets - increase compensation - or find something else that appeals to young engineers - otherwise - you will be in a bad place in the next 5 to 10 years