Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do your homework if considering this company

Jun 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great clients and the company gives you freedom to work with them in creative and inspiring ways -Lots of autonomy and freedom to work where you want (this varies depending on how management views you, but this is true for most) -Promote from within

Cons

-Lower salary for women (I was often training and managing men with no experience who were making more than I was) -Very unprofessional boundaries. The company parties often got very carried away. Management would bring up personal items in meetings. -Management definitely promotes you if they like you, but if you try to change anything you are seen as a "problem person" and opportunity is very hard to achieve. -They promote from within, but will often promote people who have very little experience in this field and no experience managing people, and then they provide little to no support to help these individuals grow into the role. Sink or swim mentality. -There is a lot of time spent talking poorly about other agencies often during meetings, not just during off the clock events. -Inconsistent service. As a result of extreme autonomy some teams run very well, and some do not. It varies greatly depending on who is on your team and how they work. -Very little structure. The company is resistant to creating processes so that each city is working in a similar manner. Because of this the work each city is doing varies greatly. Also, individuals are creating processes as they go, which can be quite time consuming. -Lack of trust in employees. -Pattern of disrespect towards employees, particularly women. -Management is related to each other and live together so there are no checks and balances. A lot of things are decided outside of the office as a result of this. -I don't know if they still do, but they used to do "surprise promotions" during the large staff meeting, which made it very difficult for individuals to ask about the parameters of a promotion before accepting.

Continue reading
    9 people found this review helpful

Downtown Streets Team Response

COO

While we disagree with some of the statements here (for example, our three top paid employees are women and we feel we place more trust in employees than most companies) you point out some of the mistakes we made when you were here. We've learned a lot as we've grown, from looking in the mirror and dissatisfied employees. For example, we started providing more training to manager and instituted an open promotion system now where anyone can apply. Thanks for the feedback and for helping us get better.

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing organization that changes many lives

May 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

DST is a collection of talented folks passionate about helping the most vulnerable in our society. Everyone is down to earth and it's like a big family. Highly recommend this company if you are passionate about the mission and want to impact the lives of others.

Cons

No cons. Keep up the good work and keep expanding the effective model to other cities in the USA to help our unhoused brothers and sisters.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Unfair and favorites

Sep 16, 2021 - Social Services in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great to work with Team Members. They are the heart and the sole of the Agency. The best co-workers.

Cons

Toxic environment is real. Favoritism by Execs are out of control.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Downtown Streets Team.