Employee Review

Former Employee

DST Red Flags of an Unhealthy Work Experience

Jul 6, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Two pros at DST are: 1) 0% employee contribution towards medical insurance that goes into effect from the first day of employment (not sure if it is still the same to ate and also very questionable since DST is a nonprofit so not sure how they can afford to pay for all staff's medical/dental insurance) and 2) some positive, genuine colleagues. If it wasn't for the genuine colleagues, I would have given DST a zero rating if possible.

Cons

DST provides a toxic environment where you will get promoted or provided with a raise if you are only favored by senior management. One way to look at one's relationship with DST is like being in an abusive relationship. At the beginning, the working relationship appears to be a positive, welcoming experience. You are greeted with enthusiasm, treated with respect only for so long. When the relationship is good, it's really good but when it's bad, it's really bad. As the working relationship progresses, the redflags continue to pop up and doesn't stop. Some redflags are: 1) "you are always at fault" when you try to bring a problem to the senior management's attention, you are made to feel like you did something wrong rather than focusing on addressing the problem; 2) what you brought to their attention ends up as a backlash on your review without written specific examples; 3) retaliation for disagreeing with favored staff; 4) if you discuss how you are retaliated with other staff, you get a verbal warning for sharing; Ultimately, there is no open positive line of communication with management; you constantly feel like you are walking on eggshells. In addition, the real DST culture tolerates unethical behavior such as sexual harassment. For example, there was a sexual harassment workshop provided to staff and after the facilitator left, few of the management staff belittled the importance of preventing sexual harassment. Inappropriate jokes and comments were made on how the sexual harassment workshop was a waste of time. Advice to current employees & potential jobseekers: if you are interested in Downtown Streets Team, proceed with caution, document everything via emails, text messages, if possible, on paper; during periodic employee reviews ask for detailed, specific examples in the area of room for improvement IN WRITING, and if report conflicts, misconduct, etc. with your supervisor/manager and made to feel bad/guilty for reporting the incident, report current & future incidents directly to Insperity (they will provide unbiased support). May this be helpful.

6 people found this review helpful

Downtown Streets Team Response

COO

We are sorry to hear about your experience at DST. We definitely hope to have an open door for communication, which extends to the CEO who has that policy and regularly meets one on one with employees at all levels per request. We know we can always do better. We're making other improvements in our communication and feedback structure and hope to address some of your concerns through them. Best of luck on your next endeavor.

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing organization that changes many lives

May 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

DST is a collection of talented folks passionate about helping the most vulnerable in our society. Everyone is down to earth and it's like a big family. Highly recommend this company if you are passionate about the mission and want to impact the lives of others.

Cons

No cons. Keep up the good work and keep expanding the effective model to other cities in the USA to help our unhoused brothers and sisters.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Unfair and favorites

Sep 16, 2021 - Social Services in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great to work with Team Members. They are the heart and the sole of the Agency. The best co-workers.

Cons

Toxic environment is real. Favoritism by Execs are out of control.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Downtown Streets Team.