DreamWorks Animation - Overall a great experience at PDI, the Redwood City campus | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DreamWorks Animation

"Overall a great experience at PDI, the Redwood City campus"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch with a wide variety to choose from. Warm, friendly culture and environment; lacks the competitive nature of other studios in the entertainment industry. On-campus gym with free membership. On-site doctor. Free shuttle to and from CalTrain. Free GoPass for CalTrain. Electric car stations.

Cons

Large discrepancy between financial compensation for Production management compared to the artistic leadership despite similar hierarchy. Recent lack of steady, continual work; hiring moving towards a per-show basis. Overseas, cross-site meetings shift the work day to late evenings to accommodate the 12hr time difference.

Advice to Management

Stories should be fully flushed out before getting rolled into production. Marketing should have a close relationship with each production and story, focusing on accurately presenting the pictures in the best way.

Other Employee Reviews for DreamWorks Animation

"Not the best place for an engineer from the hi-tech industry"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Average work environment
    2) One of the respectable companies in movie/animation industry
    3) Every employee gets movie credits!!
    4) Free breakfast & lunch

Cons

1) Tools/infrastructure is age old; after having worked in the hi-tech industry, it was kind of a shocker for me
    2) For an engineer interested in working on cutting-edge technology, job scope scope is very limited. I am comparing with my experience in companies like Google, Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, etc (where either I have worked or interviewed with) and based on my experience & interest, I won't be inclined to work at Dreamworks (that being the reason I left relatively quickly). With that being said, Dreamworks might compare favorably with other movie companies (Pixar, Disney, ILM, etc) but I don't have any firsthand information on the same.
    3) Compensation: doesn't compare favorably with hi-tech industry like the one's above. Minimal to zero stock benefits, no ESPP, minimal 401K match; the base salary is somewhat reasonable, may be a bit lower than the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Not sure what to say here as my experience is primarily working in the hi-tech sector as opposed to movie industry. I feel scope of innovation is limited for R&D engineers (I know multiple people who have left for this). Also, the compensation is not attractive with the tech industry standard but might be at par with movie industry (I am not sure on that).

"Co-workers mostly nice, management out of touch, entrenched top end in the corporate culture"

Current Employee - Lighter in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Lighter in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time

Pros

Beautiful grounds and office spaces, free breakfast and lunch, generally pleasant people and culture. Our film projects are mostly creatively stimulating and satisfying to work on. Until recently, Dream Works offered one of the steadiest streams of employment of the large studios.

Cons

Easy to get type-cast, advancement can be slow and difficult without friends in the right places. Pay has historically been less than comparable places, offset by the steady nature of the work. Now, pay is heading down more and the stability of the workflow is less consistent.

Advice to Management

Have solid stories worked out before pushing them into production. Make sure marketing is presenting the pictures in the best way. Have a company wide poll on the title selection at least as a recommendation. We've had at least two pictures take a dive based on the title alone.