Dubuque Community Schools - A great place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dubuque Community Schools

"A great place to work."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dubuque, IA
Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Dubuque Community Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dubuque Schools are well organized and run, and though some schools have more behaviour problems than others, I have never felt more at home and more comfortable than being a substitute teacher in many of these schools. Everyone is so friendly and helpful!

Cons

There really aren't many problems with the school system that I have noticed. There will be an elimination of spring break next year, but that might be a good thing - snow and cold weather have created a very late school year this year.

Other Employee Reviews for Dubuque Community Schools

1. "I have experience as a teacher aide and cafeteria aide."

Pros

I enjoy working with people and helping others. I like the great hours and working with children.

Cons

I can't think of any cons other than not always being able to help the children in everything they need.

Advice to Management

I worked in DeWitt Community schools.

2. "Substitute teacher; secondary; middle school; and elementary"

Current Employee - Currently A Substitute Teacher With Dubuque Community Schools in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Dubuque Community Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with young people. I taught high school and college level English, speech, and theatre (production planning and coordination) for 32 years at Wahlert High School. I had to be very organized and when I was, the students had a great time and worked really hard on some great scenery, costumes, props and all back-stage duties.I still enjoy working in the classroom with teens especially, and am very comfortable supervising and teaching a variety of subjects.

Cons

I sometimes wish substitutes got 'hazard pay'--I work with some very difficult students from time to time. I work a great deal with special education students and enjoy the one on one. The substitutes' schedule is either feast or famine and I find myself wanting work days that I can plan on.

Advice to Management

I think school management--principals and assistants, and others in charge do a pretty good job keeping the schedules managable for all, and for making sure there are enough substitute teachers in the appropriate subjects. I really have no complaints about the management personnel at the school where I substitute.