Duke Energy - Rapid growth can be a positive and a negative | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Duke Energy

"Rapid growth can be a positive and a negative"

I have been working at Duke Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive growth with opportunity for career growth. Access to multiple technologies and applications. Vision and understanding of Utilities business throughout the USA in multiple States.

Cons

Promotions are generally driven by politics versus performance. Although your performance is measured on a yearly basis, your ability to move up the ladder will require strong networking skills. To accept a good career opportunity, you will have to accept a lower salary to begin. The rapid growth can be a negative as you try to understand the company vision, goals, and culture. The company did not settle into its 1st merger before going into a 2nd recent merger which brought in more new visions, ideas, and new management. Trying to navigate through the continual change can be challenging and stressful.

Advice to Management

Assess current compensation and salaries which are not in line with recovering economy. In particular, the area of IT is rapidly growing. The offer to grow at other companies while receiving a higher compensation continues to pull good talent and skills away from Duke Energy. Let the company solidify as one culture and vision before proceeding with any additional mergers. Invest in full time employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Duke Energy

1. "Introduction to the industry during a merger"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with good benefits and resources. Commitment to wellness programs. Community involvement with charities.

Cons

Slow to release major announcements and other information to employees. Bad press recently

"Good experience at Progress Energy Carolinas. Hopefully my salary won't freeze with merger."

Current Employee - Engineer I in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and pay. The company used to allow employees to have every other friday off. Maybe they will allow that again. The future is unknow but hopefully everything will work out.

Cons

Not sure if I will have job in Raliegh in 5 years