Duke Energy - Positive Intern Experience | Glassdoor

"Positive Intern Experience"

Pros

Generally, the Intern experience was very positive. Pay for that level of work was quite good and work-time and time-off were very flexible. This probably depends on department, however. Duke is huge.

Cons

Being shoehorned into a single position in a large corporation is generally frustrating. At times, there is nothing to do, at others, the work week runs until late evening and weekends. Again, this could depend on department.

Advice to Management

Dear Jim Rodgers, there's a great deal of disconnect between your engineering and business teams. The merger has left some very interesting political rifts within the company as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Duke Energy

1. "Duke Energy Corporation.....A Big Slow Utility"

Pros

Duke is a very large utility that offers better than average job security for those individuals that do like like to work in a dynamic company.

Cons

Duke Energy as a whole makes decisions at the pace of a glacier and is very risk adverse, so if you want to work in a cube the rest of your life.....this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Most of Duke management needs to realize that there is more to the world than just North Carolina and the Midwest.

"Duke Energy is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Station Equipment Expert
    Current Employee - Station Equipment Expert

Pros

Duke has great employees at all levels in the power plants. The union and non union employees work together to get the job done. Duke has been great to work for and has helped me move into better jobs over the years. They paid for my college and gave me the opportunities I needed to make a great career. I started in the union and worked my way into a management position. The aging workforce at Duke will give me and others many more opportunities to work into other interesting jobs over the next few years. The benefits are great too. We enjoy good medical, dental and eye care benefits and a great vacation policy.

Cons

Duke has yet to complete the total combination of the latest merger with Cinergy. There are a lot of problems that are handled differently between the Carolina plants and the Midwest plants. The cultures are so different it will be hard to ever make the entire company look the same.

Advice to Management

Senior management is almost never seen in the plants.