Duke University Health System - Good summer job, would not do full time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System

"Good summer job, would not do full time"

Current Contractor - Data Entry Clerk in Durham, NC
Current Contractor - Data Entry Clerk in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid company, good co-workers, no issues

Cons

Tedious Job but to be expected

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for Duke University Health System

1. "Just like any large company there are problems and there are opportunities."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Duke offers excellent benefits. Health care, dental care are good but you'll pay for them. Retirement plans for salaried employees are very good with matching contributions. Durham is a great city with lots of culture of all types.

Cons

It is easy to get lost in the system. You'll have to be good at "networking" to get ahead. There seems to be infinite resources for new buildings but not enough to give employees meaningful raises. Management turn-over seems high to me. Managers often lack people skills or technical skill. Hard to find someone with both.

Advice to Management

Don't take "worker bees" for granted. Don't assume that we're a captive audience because the economy keeps us from finding another job. Treat us with respect and trust. Give out a kind word or letter of appreciation from time to time.

2. "Duke Post-doc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work - life balance.

Cons

Fellows who receive their own grants are not considered employees and are not eligible for employee benefits (retirement, etc) but post-docs who fail to get their own funding are. Seems backwards to reward the failures and "punish" success.