Duke University Health System - Good place to work, may take a while to climb the ladder | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System

"Good place to work, may take a while to climb the ladder"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation within the industry, great place to start a career. Good organizational leaders, fantastic and overly competitive benefit package.

Cons

Not as many opportunities as you may think - have great talent at the very top, but lots of mediocre employees below. Advancement seems to be based more on number of years than ability. Many "Duke lifers" here, which makes it difficult to progress in the organization.

Advice to Management

Consider employees new to the org for advancement

Other Employee Reviews for Duke University Health System

"Undervalues employees. Good opportunities to develop your resume/CV, though."

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work on different, very cool projects. Lots of interesting collaborators and collaboration opportunities. Some DUMC employees complain about poor work-ilfe balance and incredible pressure to work around the clock, but I didn't experience this. I found that work-life balance was completely manageable.

Cons

At the time I worked there, Duke seemed to feel that employees should be honored and grateful to work at the Duke University Medical Center (DUMC), and that efforts to create a hospitable working environment were unnecessary. There was a lot of talk about going the extra mile to offer excellent patient care, but Duke itself was extremely self-serving in its policies with employees. For example, I worked in a building that had free but unlit parking, which always felt a little sketchy after dark. Duke told us that it would install lighting in the parking lot, but in exchange, it would begin charging us to park in the lot. I suppose this makes good business sense, but it also made it clear that Duke's bottom line was more important than employee safety. It was incumbent upon us to cover our own costs - Duke didn't seem to feel that these kinds of expenses were built into its profit margin. Another con is poor health benefits (my memory is that the Duke health insurance mostly covered visits to other Duke providers, so it was hard to be seen outside the system).

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. Rhetoric about Duke being committed to employees falls flat when, for example, the mandatory orientation session prioritizes a 30-minute lecture on hand-washing over covering how to sign up for benefits. (The benefits talk, which presenters acknowledged was probably most important to new employees because the window to sign up for benefits was closing, was last in the orientation session, and the only video-recorded talk. All other orientation talks were delivered by a live person.) These kinds of things speak volumes about where employee comfort fits in Duke's priorities.

2. "What a great place to work and help others"

Current Employee - Grounds Maintenance in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Grounds Maintenance in Durham, NC

Pros

I love the opportunity to help others when hey are in need.

Cons

Do not like following processes and procedures at time

Advice to Management

give folks more money and time off.