Duke University Health System - DHTS-IT Employed for 10 yrs., and laid off. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System

"DHTS-IT Employed for 10 yrs., and laid off."

Former Employee - DHTS in Durham, NC
Former Employee - DHTS in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits and that's about it.

Cons

It's who you know, not what you know. Experienced 3 restructuring episodes only to be given the axe in the third. Honesty with employees is questionable. Fairness in selection process is dependent upon the manager and the institution's hidden agenda.

Advice to Management

Why bother to give advice? They don't listen to or appreciate their employees in IT.

Other Employee Reviews for Duke University Health System

"Working in research at DUHS certainly keeps you on your toes"

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits if you know how to find and take advantage of them. Great job security; even if your PI runs out of funding, they will work hard to keep you in a similar position in a different lab.

Cons

Pay. Pay pay pay. I have verified this across four years, two different positions, and through friends in HR: the salary you negotiate when you first start working here determines your salary range throughout your career unless you're very aggressive about seeking promotions. I was a data tech II for three years and then got what is technically a promotion to clinical trials assistant II at a different lab, and due to "funding constraints" (i.e., PIs never want to spend their grant money on fair salaries and the department takes their cues from the PI) all they did was meet what I was making at the previous position. I regret not pushing back on that, but when a PI says they don't want to pay you more, and the DUHS HR metrics are skewed to be as conservative as possible, there's not much anyone wants to do about it.

Raises outside of promotions are very rare (outside of the oh-so-generous <2% cost of living raise each year.) And promotions are quite difficult to finagle unless you earn a new degree/certification. Getting acknowledgement for experience or a job well done does not happen on its own here. So my advice: go as high as you possibly can when you first get hired!

Advice to Management

Young people trying to start careers in research such as myself deserve fair compensation.

2. "Outstanding Benefits"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the largest health system in North Carolina, the largest employer in the triangle area, and the second largest employer in the state (besides the state itself) Duke provides a list of employee benefits second to none.

Cons

As the largest health system in North Carolina, the largest employer in the triangle area, and the second largest employer in the state (besides the state itself) Duke attracts so many candidates that they are able to pay on the low side.