Duke University - Not conducive to students | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Duke University

"Not conducive to students"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

The work study. It has a good opportunity for students to work while in school.

Cons

Administration is horrendous. Opportunities are few and far in between. There is much control and little distribution of funds to where they should be.

Other Employee Reviews for Duke University

1. "Variety of organization, Atmosphere is totally depends on departments"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC

Pros

If you network properly, Duke provide various working environment with flexible working time. A few Professors can be resourceful. Just need to be careful with the others.

Cons

If you are working with non responsible PI, or with someone (PI or staff) has complicated political relationships, the situation can be really bad.

2. "Flexible, engaging, yet just as bureaucratic as public institutions."

Current Employee - Postbac Research Affiliate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Postbac Research Affiliate in Durham, NC

Pros

-Pay is good and raises given usually after a semester or two.
    -So much interesting research! It's exciting going to work.
    -Extremely flexible with part-time schedules.
    -Diverse and (usually) intelligent co-workers.
    -Beautiful campus and weather, especially from mid-Sept to mid-May.

Cons

-Moving within from student part-time to anything else is nearly impossible, I got lucky. Duke hates it when recent grads stay. They want us flying all over the world saving humanity, since obviously we all can afford it. I only have a few months left and contacting other labs in this department for work is a joke. They don't give you the time of day. At least I get a nice automated email from industry or USAJobs. Here, silence from almost everyone.
    -As usual for universities, greed is rampant. Parking is awful (though not monitored on weekends), housing and food are grossly overpriced, and there are charges for everything in between.
    -My co-workers and employers are pleasant, but the University as a whole has a slightly arrogant vibe. Until maybe a decade or two ago this was justified, but in this economy, the only difference between a Duke degree and a public school one is that you're an extra ~150k in the hole.
    -Durham is better than in past years, but is still in many ways a crime-ridden pustule of Raleigh.

Advice to Management

Hire more recent grads. It's not like we're not qualified, we'd save you lots of money!