Dunelm - Friendly Atmosphere | Glassdoor

"Friendly Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuneaton, England (UK)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuneaton, England (UK)

Pros

Staff are all friendly towards each other, training was very good and got the chance to move and experience many departments.

Cons

Being retail, the hours we unsociable but that is nothing on Dunelm that is just retail in general and you know that when you take the job

Other Employee Reviews for Dunelm

"Not the best work experience"

Pros

Most staff were quite pleasant to work with.
    On-site senior staff did do a good amount of work and weren't simply sitting down in the background somewhere.

Cons

* low wage compared to similar positions
    * boring place to work
    *staff discount is very low compared to other large chain stores in the UK.
    * consistenly having to leave 15-20mins after the shift was offically over
    * a 5 days of training at a hotel that lated about 4 hours each day. not much was learnt here and it seems more like a time to hand out printed documents and phamlets about some key products that would be sold. this could have been achieved in 1 day. meanwhile, real on-site training before the launch of the new store wasn't given as much importance.
    * high staff turn over
    *bringing in managers from others stores to help for a short period of time. as these people were only onsite for a few days, they were often quite impersonal and this caused a needlessly uncomfortable working environment.
    * senior managment were not that great at boasting morale

Advice to Management

* My finishing time was 6pm. However, I was often told to do extra tasks that would take 15-20mins more and would inevitably wind up leaving later. I was not asked if I could do over-time - I was commanded to do so and it was presumed I could do this. I believe it is more courteous and fair to ask if an employee is willing to work overtime. It feels much more like an unpleasant confrontation when you declined overtime than when you state you are not going to do X task what you were requested because you need to head home.

* Senior management didn’t seem to hand out praise evenly. It appeared popular members of staff who enjoyed a closer relationship with seniors than other employees had their achievements publically praised the most. Meanwhile, I noted workers who consistently provided good service, were friendly with other staff, showed up to work on time and often went above and beyond their roles did not really get the praised as should have been. Overall, praising staff members wasn’t done often though. I believe a staff of the week scheme where both senior and non-senior staff could vote from select nominees or something of the kind would have been a fair and very beneficial system. In a job where:

1) you do not work on commission

2) do not have any creative input

3) there are no performance-based bonuses

4) you are essentially not making that much money but making those in higher managerial positions and executive positions quite a bit richer through your hard work at selling a customer an item and/or providing a friendly service to partially ensure their return...

praising customers and providing incentives is even more essential. Not many non-senior employees are very motivated by the sheer fact that products need to sell to do their job to a consistently high level every single day (or the majority of days that they work). When you go into a shop and the assistants are gathered in a group talked and ignoring customers or not being attentive etc, it is not beyond the realms of the reality to believe that they are also somewhat disillusioned with the fact they are in job that doesn’t offer much satisfaction yet due to lack of incentives/recognition or higher wage they are not compensated for this.

* The searching of bags and coats/jackets after the end of work to check for stolen property. Whilst I was not completely opposed to this as I didn't have anything to hide, I did consider it unfair that those in senior/managerial positions were not searched along with us. It sent out a message that those not in senior roles could be viewed as potential suspects/thieves but management were seemingly presumed above stealing. Everyone should have been checked or no one at all.

* When I worked there was really high staff turnover rate. I believe that could partly be down to expecting workers to deliver a high standard of customer care and output yet work for a salary that's not entirely competitive. After a short time, it can get difficult to stay in a job that is quite physical, requires you to be on your feet all day and treat customers very well when you aren’t being compensated for it that well. I’m also sure the three previous points mentioned contributed to feelings of low-morale amongst those who walked too.

2. "dunelm"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Dunelm (Less than a year)

Pros

great company to work for, will give you training for there fortlift, great staff to work work , aslo grat to go to xmas party with

Cons

the only thing is not mush help with training, when setting up displays, sometime times hard work and not much thanks from the boses

Advice to Management

talk to your staff on a one to one and enquire about what help they need. have more staff meeting on a one to one