Duval County Public School - Good | Glassdoor

"Good"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

We have some of the best students any city has to offer. The teaching at the school where I am currently is phenomenal.

Cons

I dont care for the clicks and promotions are based on who you know and not yours talents.

Advice to Management

Ensure your Principals are capable of leading a school and not just in their position because they are friends with the ppwers that be.

Other Employee Reviews for Duval County Public School

1. "Unbelievable bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Solid benefits; summers off; job security (but not as much as there used to be). The chance to shape young minds (the ones that want to learn, at any rate).

Cons

Layers of politics and bureaucracy like no other place I've ever worked; poor pay relative to other jobs requiring similar education; lack of respect and support of administration. Poor decisions on the part of upper management that are often not relevant to actual classroom experience.

Advice to Management

Get out into the classroom and listen to actual teachers before coming up with new, ludicrous success strategies, particularly if you haven't stepped foot in a classroom in years (or at all).

"Incompetent administration makes for very frustrating experience"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The county allows up to 10 sick or personal leave days per school year.

Cons

The best schools are overcrowded, making teachers travel from room to room. We are all looking at a cut in pay (retirement and health benefits) for 2011 and beyond because teachers are so denigrated in Florida. Our county administrators spend money on nonessentials and leave us without basic supplies or money for copy needs. Students are not well behaved at even the best schools and the county has made it difficult to enforce any sort of behavioral standards. At my school, the administrators do everything they can to avoid holding students accountable for anything.

Advice to Management

Stick up for teachers, and hold parents and students accountable!