E. & J. Gallo Winery - Gallo - Good experience but you better be willing to work long and hard. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for E. & J. Gallo Winery

"Gallo - Good experience but you better be willing to work long and hard."

Current Employee - Engineer in Modesto, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Modesto, CA

Pros

The company is a industry leader in terms of research and development. They have a extensive scientific knowledge of the wine making process. They are extremely methodical in research and have experts in all aspects of wine making from oenology to manufacturing. Also the beginning salaries are high for the food and beverage industry. In terms of wine manufacturing they have the resources and the size to utilize new and innovative methods which is unique to the wine industry. Also the emphasize on safety is to a much higher level then I have observed at other companies. Safety is built into their culture.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. I receive e-mails at all times of day and night and there is an expectation that I will be on my blackberry to respond during weekends, vacations and holidays. Also there are pet projects from the Gallo family which do not have much merit but get pushed due to their influence. The politics in a company of this size is expected but the peaty nature is a bit shocking.

The turnover rate is also high from senior management to entry level professional staff. This is dependent on different departments but in the last couple years, the turnover has been increasing.

Advice to Management

Please pay the long time employees appropriately!

Other Employee Reviews for E. & J. Gallo Winery

1. "Finance Intern"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery as an intern

Pros

Had a great experience. Let me work indepedently on projects that helped influence M&A decisions

Cons

Where in the middle of building a new office building during my time. It is now open but I did not get to experience it.

2. "Chemistry Intern"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery as an intern

Pros

It is a good working environment.

Cons

Its location is in Modesto.