E. & J. Gallo Winery - A Great Place for Opportunity and Career Growth | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A Great Place for Opportunity and Career Growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated with respect and are appreciated. Opportunities for advancement and career growth abound. Strong sense of teamwork and shared goals.

Cons

Department communications could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be the best company anyone could work for.

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're so happy to hear that you feel appreciated, because you are! Keep up the great work!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Engineering Internship"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Modesto, CA
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a friendly and fun work environment, I have made many friends through this internship and made many memories outside of work thanks to being involved here at E & J Gallo.

Cons

When I began work here the stipend I received to relocate was not enough to pay for my first months rent, in fact until I received my first check I could hardly afford food. Moreover I had absolutely no help finding a place to live, the HR representative I spoke to before starting here said she would send me links which have helped other interns find housing, but after reminding her 3 times I was met with no such help. As a result of this I ended up having to live in an apartment in a shady area and paying double what it cost me to live before moving to work with Gallo.

My current job has nothing to do with engineering, and is more mundane than challenging, and when I started with the company I spent the first month preparing things myself, in fact I was even mistaken for another employee and was not given my own AB number until 3 weeks in. there was little preparation beforehand for me to start work, and now that I have been here for a few months, I feel as though I am completely on my own, it is a struggle to make time with my manager, I see him once a month. At first I though the pay would be worth it but after budgeting I realized I am going to go broke moving back after this internship. I left school temporarily to be a part of this internship expecting to get worthwhile experience and instead I am taking a huge step back to do a job which no one in the company seems to care for. I spoke to other interns and their experience has been extremely positive, and I can't help but feel taken advantage of. All in all I feel as though I am gaining no experience towards a career in engineering. I am receiving no guidance. I am valued less than every other intern. I feel the work I am doing is making no impact and is not taken seriously in any capacity. I can say with confidence and certainty that I have given this internship my best efforts thus far, I do not take this review lightly and I very much hope I am an outlier in the experience I have had here. I am coming to deeply regret the efforts I made to be a part of this internship. I give this 2 stars instead of 1 because of the friendly people I have met through the company.

Advice to Management

Prepare for interns beforehand and make it a priority to provide proper guidance for the job at hand. Provide adequate compensation to relocate, both before and after the internship. At the very least, remember the names of your interns.

Oct 26, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We are concerned by your comments and would like to confidentially discuss further to see how we can improve your internship experience. Please contact me directly to setup some time to talk. I hope... More

"Excellent company for a career"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with Gallo for 11+ years. I came for the paycheck and stayed because I continued to grow. Gallo supported my education and empowered me to change careers. From my journey thru Chemistry, Wine making, Operations, Sales, and Marketing, I have found my coworkers to be affable, intelligent, and eager challenge the status quo.

Cons

The location (Modesto) may be a downside for some. But I've found the low cost of living, while still in CA, to be a big plus.
    Also, some folks have not had as great of an experience as I have. One possible reason is that Gallo is looking to retain and promote top performers. Those who complain typically are those who simply do not perform as well, do not aggressively seek to improve themselves, and therefore feel like they have plateaued.

Oct 5, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is obvious by the the thought and care you put into your review, that we are very lucky to have you. Cheers!

Discover more reviews about E. & J. Gallo Winery.